• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Wanting to try hydro-growing.

I really want to try hydroponic growing, but I do not want to invest a great deal of money into it without having some beginners practice and gaining more knowledge. We have a store nearby that carries hydroponic supplies, so I have some local availability. I have looked at some DIY systems and other grow systems on this and other sites, however, I found this setup and wondered if it looks like a good starting setup to attempt hydroponic gardening

http://www.hydrowholesale.com/Aeroponic-Hydroponic-Systems/Viagrow-Black-Bucket-Deep-Water-System.asp

For ~ $30 it looks about as cheap as a similar DIY setup...anyone ever use this particular brand? Or does anyone suggest a different beginners setup...?

Next, a few questions about lighting. Everywhere I look it's SMH or HPS lighting mentioned, however can T5 fluorescent be used in conjunction with ambient outside lighting such as in a sunroom or on a cover patio? Can peppers just not flower and grow with fluorescent lighting? I really do not want to spend the 150+ bucks for a lighting system if I can use ambient lighting along with t5 fluorescents for a 1/5 of the cost.

Next, what water to use. I live in the city limits and rely on city water...some people here have mentioned dechlorinated water for hydro...is city water ok to use in this type of setting?
I read that floramicro hardwater can be used if your water registers over 200 ppm or calcium greater than 70 ppm...also what is the ideal ph range for peppers?

Anything else you guys can throw at me to get me started on the right track?

Looks like a good beginner setup, go for it at that price, even if you fail on your first attempt you arent out alot of money. Check your city water, mine is pretty good so I use it straight from the tap. I am using a 3 part nutrient solution that I got on EBay for $25.

Basically I am refilling the bucket every friday with 1.5 gallons of water, 30cc of grow, 20 cc of micro and 20cc of bloom. I am also using 30cc of H2O2 per nutrient change. Check out my Yellow Brain Strain hydro grow for more info, if I can do it, you can too!!!

Put your own system together. Get a lowes bucket with lid for 4-5 bucks. Cheap aquarium air pump at petsmart or Walmart or the like for 5-15 and an air stone for .25-5. A net pot from a pond place for a couple dollars and you saved yourself 10 bucks not including shipping.

Awesome, I'll check out your grow definitely...what exactly is the h2o2 for per change?

I saw a step by step DIY for what you mentioned...I think I may just try that...

What all do I need to test the water for? Ph, calcium, hardness, etc?

Awesome, I'll check out your grow definitely...what exactly is the h2o2 for per change?

I saw a step by step DIY for what you mentioned...I think I may just try that...

I am very interested in Advanced Nutrients PH/PPM perfect. Not only do you not have to adjust ph or ppm upfront with adding nutrients, ppm/ph stays perfect for the whole time they are in the water in between reservoir change.

For a new grower or someone who just wants it easy, AN 3-part ph perfect is a great choice. It is the only thing you need to have a trouble free grow.

A dwc bucket is your best choice.

that DWC setup looks great for the money.. i bet it cost me atleast that much to build my own each. And Flourescent lighting would help supplement the window perfectly. I have peppers that produce from my window sill without anything added (although fairly slow)

As far as your tap water, I would buy yourself another bucket or large container, so you can let the water sit in open air for a couple days before placing your plants in it. This will allow time for all the chlorine to evaporate. Also you must have a way to test PH and adjust PH depending on your tap water quality. This is the MOST important...I generally have used around PH of 6. without having issues... but i havent experimented and am in no way an expert.

next would be water mineral/salt contents... you shouldnt have a problem with tap water unless you have more than 200-300 PPM total dissolved solids.
And even if you do have close to that, you can make due. You would just need to reduce nutrients from full strength (as that adds to the original PPM) and to flush the excess build up of salts from the roots by using bottled drinking watercooler water or similar straight for a day or so(remember to rinse out the grow medium as well) you'd do this in between nutrient changes every week or 2.

DWC is as simple as it gets, but the meters are the expensive part... If you dont have a PH meter (or atleast strips) GET ONE. As far as the PPM(TDS) meter I have never actually broken down and got one... so it can be done... but i had my tap water tested by a local water purification retail company for free. They came back and told me that i had a whopping 230 PPM and broke it down to each mineral that was in it... they then showed me which filtration setups would be best suited. but i already had all the info i needed :)

best of luck, and cheers... its addicting.

Here is what I found about H2O2. I added it to my system and my plant really took off. Now I cant say that was the only reason, but look at the grow log, since adding the h2o2 it has really boomed. Last night I noticed I have tiny pods, about the size of peas, we are getting there!

"There are no doubts about the benefits of using hydrogen peroxide properly in a hydroponics system. This becomes especially true if your nutrient reservoir is kept above 72 degrees. Warm water holds less dissolved oxygen, and therefore encourages the growth of more viruses, fungi, and anaerobic bacteria. Using hydrogen peroxide adds oxygen to you water and cleans the water of pathogens. Benefits include healthier root systems, increased nutrient uptake, thicker stems, and bigger leaves."

I just ordered Hydroponic Food Production, Edition 6 from this guy Dr Howard M Resh.

The seventh edition is not out till the middle of August and I didn't want to wait that long
Edition 6 was printed in 2002, so we have 10 years of new information and experience to
be added. I will be ordering his new book if the older one is very good, let's hope so.

A little knowledge goes a long way. It saves money, time and heartache in the learning process.

Let's see how this pans out, Ghosty, out, for now at least... Will report back after I have read the
book, and applied what I have learned and seen positive results.

I am in the same situation. I want to try hydro, but I don't want to spend a lot in case it fails. I was able to use a container I had around the house. The lighting is what I was concerned about. I set up a cobbled together light system with CFLs.
IMG_20120607_203311.jpg

I was worried that there would not be enough light, but I didn't want to spend big money on a true grow light. I dug around on Craigslist and found a guy selling damp rated, high bay metal halide lights for $10 with a spare bulb. Here is the set up now.
IMG_20120610_145659.jpg

There is a substantial differance in light. I think I might get anouther and run two.

I just want to chime in with some results from the dwc systems we manufacture and sell.
These are all from our own previous/ current THP posts/ grow log etc.. You can find more pictures and details on our hotpepper blog and grow log / web site etc.

http://thehotpepper.com/blog/56/entry-164-alpha-hydro-deep-water-culture-hydroponics-systems-with-lumigrow-330-es-led-grow-lights/

0302.jpg

0312.jpg

alphahydrodwcroots11.jpg

Don't over think it.
Many brands of nutrients on the market will mix to proper pH range and ppm via there mixing instructions.
PM me with your addy and i will send you some pH test strips.
Regards, Chris

since you live near a hydro store you can buy a 5 gallon bucket lid with net pot for about 3.50, get a small bag of hydroton while your there, under 5.00 , then lowes gray bucket, {not white or orange they let light in} cost 2.69, lowes has grommets and elbows

grommet #139360 1 1/8 x 5/8 1.04

90 1/2" elbow #22520 .54 cent

1.5 feet of 1/2 id hose

head to wally world, pump stone and hose about 8.50

drill 3/4 hole in side of bucket near bottom, insert grommet, elbow, hose and cut to length under rim for water level indicator

1/4 hole at top for air line

photo-19.jpg

draw level line 1 inch above bottom of net pot, 1 inch below, above in max for seedlings, below after they get going

photo-20.jpg

photo-21.jpg

this one i added a double pump, and drip ring

http://s12.photobucket.com/albums/a235/1911a1fan/peppers/?action=view&current=IMG_07761.mp4

i have since made 6 of them, combined them to circulate to a reservoir, upgraded pump and air stones , work very well , get ph strips, and you can find a tds meter cheap {both are vital}

dan I would love to see a picture of your 6 bucket system. I have 3-4 individual buckets and I want to use a single feed resevoir for adding water, my plants got so large they were hard to move and change water on. Message me if you see this. I will message you in case.

If you have any doubt that Hydro isn't a show stopper, check out my latest thread... Hydro is probably 4 times the speed of grow and at leat 3 or 4 times the production of the pods.
http://thehotpepper.com/topic/33986-a-couple-pics-from-the-garden/

I bought a couple Power Growers from GH, which are basically a bigger version of the Waterfarm. I have since added a few DWC, a couple bucket setups just like you linked but home made, and I have a NFT, which is a little more advanced but basically just a 4" pipe with the water and nutrients flowing down through it.

Back