• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Warning: Graphic

This is what happens when you plant healthy Bhut Jolokia's and get over 2" of rain with 75+ mph winds.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/30591056/IMAG0140.jpg
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/30591056/IMAG0141.jpg
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/30591056/IMAG0142.jpg

Tim H.
:mouthonfire:

This is what happens when you plant healthy Bhut Jolokia's and get over 2" of rain with 75+ mph winds.

IMAG0140.jpg

IMAG0141.jpg

IMAG0142.jpg

Tim H.
:mouthonfire:

dang man thats a muddy mess hope you get better luck the rest of the season

Ouch. Indiana weather April to mid May is terrible. Nothing but rain, wind, thunderstorms, and gray skies. I'm keeping everything in 1 gallon pots lined up against the house until near the end of May from now on. That's what I mostly did this year and it paid off. They get to the size they would be if planted earlier, or bigger, by plant out time and get a lot less of the nasty weather.

+1 for Avon, those little guys should have been in at least #1 pots till they could fill out the root ball in them. Bummer to loose plants like that :tear: :tear: . Growing can be a bitch, I'm going through my own trials right now with Batcterial Spot. :tear:

The pain...

We take care of our plants, make big plans for them, and then comes mother nature and this happens!
So unfair.

Bleash

Edit: Typo

My parents live in southern IL out in the middle of farm land...so no wind breaks. Dad has had good luck putting coffee cans around them to protect them. We've got less wind, but I've still lost some to wind. This time around, I've had good luck using a clear plastic tote bin. I thought for real windy applications, it'd be a good idea to cut the bottom out, turn it over, and stake it down over plants in the ground. clear plastic would let sunlight through...maybe depending how you cut the top, less rain would get in.

The amazing part is they are still fighting to come back. Keep them in your thoughts.... :)

And yes, I have one remaining Bhut which is currently living a domesticated (potted) life with all the amenities. Still waiting to transplant another 100 or so various habs, fatalis, and such. I need to hire a pepper sitter. Now there's a business idea. Ha.

On second thought, the Aussie's are getting ready for winter. I could probably find a few willing to come over here for the summer if I paid them in beer. :)

Don't give up on em! They may fight back. I had quite a few get demolished in rain and wind, but they're still fighting and have come back pretty strong.

+1 for Avon, those little guys should have been in at least #1 pots till they could fill out the root ball in them. Bummer to loose plants like that :tear: :tear: . Growing can be a bitch, I'm going through my own trials right now with Batcterial Spot. :tear:
Oh, man... that stuff sucks major ass. :( Good luck; and you're gonna need it, unfortunately. It really, really sucks.

My pepper garden was completely decimated last year from bacterial spot, I even saw a few peppers (not just leaves) infected. I think much of my plants' potential went down the toilet when that shit struck and then spread like wildfire. Some of my pepper plants were nearly bald by the time I got rid of all of the infected leaves... and by the next storm, there were new leaves to be removed. :cry:

I dreaded every rain, storm, and especially heavy downpour (which there were plenty of). And that's saying something; ever since I was young I was always fascinated by strong thunderstorms, and especially hurricanes and tornadoes. In other words, I actually *liked* them. Hell, to this day strong thunderstorms have the ability to actually help me sleep for some reason (maybe I'm just ass-backwards)... but when I've got plants outside it's a different story altogether. Of course.. back then I didn't have anything of importance outside.

My porch-grown potted plants were mostly unaffected, and the front porch is where every single one of my plants are living this year. It also helps that fertilization, inspection for pests and picking fruit are all much easier in pots (gotta love their portability). This year... the ground where peppers once grew is reserved for pumpkins. Peppers just seem to do much better in containers for me.

Ironically... guess where I think my bacterial spot problem may have come from... one single jalapeno plant from Lowe's. I didn't know what those "spots" were, figured they were nothing major. And even worse? If I remember right the plant was a Mammoth Jalapeno... which was also one of the shittiest peppers I ever grew, easily the absolute worst jalapeno. It was ugly with absolutely no corking, and just as the first pepper was beginning to turn red... I go outside to see it had burst open and ants were having a field day running inside and outside of it collecting food. I pulled it out of the ground immediately at that point, and its disease haunted me all spring/summer--the entire time the plants were productive.

Oh, how I've learned... never again! If only I had tossed that POS variety sooner, or better yet never bought it to begin with. Now I know even one little brown spot on a single leaf is not to be messed with.

My parents live in southern IL out in the middle of farm land...so no wind breaks. Dad has had good luck putting coffee cans around them to protect them. We've got less wind, but I've still lost some to wind. This time around, I've had good luck using a clear plastic tote bin. I thought for real windy applications, it'd be a good idea to cut the bottom out, turn it over, and stake it down over plants in the ground. clear plastic would let sunlight through...maybe depending how you cut the top, less rain would get in.
Some good pointers there. Not always easy to get protection in place and anchored when needed, and also remove it when it gets hot. But can save a lot of plants during a big hit. Thanks.... :cool:

Back