WARNING TO UPSIDE GROWERS

To day was a very sad Day for me I checked all my plant early this morning and then sometime today the handle broke out of one of my 5 gal. buckets :( that had a great Hot Banana in it that was doing great for me! Here is a the last picture I took of it
pepper6_91308.jpg

be sure to check your handles.

I replaced the others with rope mabey they will stay till I can get some chain to put on them here are 3 more that I have going with peppers in them one is a jalapeno and the other is a Habanero

pepper7_upsidedown1.jpg

sorry to hear that this happened to ya, it'd bum me out.

I dont have any upside down plants this season but I'll agree with you that the handles in 5 gallon buckets can & do come out of the buckets, mainly because of the weight issue & time.
ditto, a simple rope tied for a handle (through the bucket) will prevent these accidents.

Your right on the time & weight issue they held up good in the heat we have had here in the Southern Region(Tennessee) (been in the 90's most of the summer and another Drought this year that we have had)I think I will add some aircraft cable or chain to the buckets like you said (through the bucket) I don't know if the rope will hold up in the weather or if we get a bad wind storm this fall But I know one thing I will fix them on all my buckets from here on out!!

ok just to clarify when I said "time" I meant its only a matter of time before the stock metal handles pull out of the buckets from the weight.
yea they're fine for awhile in a new bucket but again "time & weight" starts pulling those stock handles out. hence why I said through the bucket, just drill 2 holes big enough for ? & a couple inches from the top.

I dont know how much little chain or cable costs vs your basic 3/8th 100' rope you can get at menards/home depot for like $10, good for 225 lbs ? & rot proof.

I feel majorly broken plants must be one of the most depressing things to come across. This was my first year growing and have not had any problems but I figure it is going to happen to me eventually.

I don't have any of those but I feel sorry for you that happen maybe try like Potawie said reinforce with rope or wire that might work out for you better .

chilehunte I understand what you were talking about on the "time & weight"

I went with cable(I have hemp rope) on it but it will weather out in time and nylon rope will stretch out weather out fast in hot temps and sunlight that we have the cable cost was less than the price of rope it was around $8.00 :lol: I have a lot rope around here but I don't know how good it will be as old as it is and I didn't want to buy some more to lay or hang around in the way We don't have a menards/home depot we have a small Lowe's but I can get better deals on stuff like that at the local owned Hardware store

POTAWIE said:
One of mine fell and broke this year too:( The ones where I used rope held up perfectly

When they do it Hurts :( and it leaves a mark :lol:maybe I can keep it from happening again I hope

Josh said:
I feel majorly broken plants must be one of the most depressing things to come across. This was my first year growing and have not had any problems but I figure it is going to happen to me eventually.
your right on depressing I hope it don't happen to you Josh Best of Luck on your plants!

Is somebody going to answer Patrick's question? He wanted to know if there is an advantage to growing your plants upside down. I would like to know to.

There are many advantages but the biggest is that you can make use of otherwise unusable space. There are many threads posted here on the subject.

patrick said:
Is there an advantage planting them this way?

Sorry I didn't get back to you any soon but it's been crazy around here for me
Ok there are advantages to growing upside down and here are a few! increase yield
good air flow for the plants
fruits hanging down for easy picking
no stakes or cages
weed-free environment
no ground-dwelling pests
water gets to the roots better than in the grown
better exposure to sun, water and nutrients
sometime two weeks earlier than in traditional gardens
critical chores so much easier and the payoff sooner.”
And what POTAWIE said !

Festus said:
Sorry I didn't get back to you any soon but it's been crazy around here for me
Ok there are advantages to growing upside down and here are a few! increase yield
good air flow for the plants
fruits hanging down for easy picking
no stakes or cages
weed-free environment
no ground-dwelling pests
water gets to the roots better than in the grown
better exposure to sun, water and nutrients
sometime two weeks earlier than in traditional gardens
critical chores so much easier and the payoff sooner.”
And what POTAWIE said !

Thanks Festus, have to try it next year.

Sauceman51 you will have a lot of fun doing it I know I did :) I got a few strange looks from people and then they asked How do you do that :shocked: How do they stay in the buckets :?:

I've seriously thought of making some kind of hanging basket (for next season) to hold some sugar peas, it sure would make it easier for picking them

chilehunter said:
I've seriously thought of making some kind of hanging basket (for next season) to hold some sugar peas, it sure would make it easier for picking them

Hey chilehunter this is my first year doing the upsidedown it won't be my last :) from all the research I have done I found out that you can just about grow any type veg upsidedown with great success But I don't think I would try cabbage, corn, Okra, Bell peppers,lol due to weight or size of the plants

Back