• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Watching the bees spread the love

Just came back from my garden bench. It was fun watching the bees spread the love. I would watch bees work on a flower of a pepper plant, them move to a nearby plant and work on one of he flowers. I see how easy it is to produce crosses. I then saw thw bees work on flowers of nearby cucumber plants. If cross species vegatable hybrids were possible, I could have an interesting crop next year.

Yea, thumbs up for the bees. I try to plant things in my garden to attract them. They seem to love basil. I plant a lot of basil just for me bees. They are always all over my squash too. Last week i went to pick some to make relish. stuck my hand in there and felt a little poke. thought it was just the poky stuff on my plant and pulled my hand out with a big bee on it. Man, did it hurt. my fault, i guess. The same day i was out in my shed and a big red wasp got my right in the neck. It must have got a nerve cause it made the bottom of my left hand hurt. I have not got stung all year, then wtice in the same time. Part of it :cool:

Bees in the garden and general do not bother me much. Wasps are nasry. We hung up a fake waps nest outside. As Wasps are very territorial, this has done a good job of discouraging them.

Hell yeah, big love for the Bees (and Hoverflies, can't miss them out!)

Nothing better than relaxing and watching them working away amongst my little garden!

bees and worms, two of the coolest life forms, unfortunately the bees in my area don't want to touch my peppers, they will visit any yellow and blue flower but leave the whites alone. not sure why. i have tomatoes right beside my peppers and the bees will visit the tomatoes, hover around the peppers as to check them out, then "buzz off". they do visit the pinkish leaves of my cherry trees.

Yeah, I must admit, most Bees don't seem overly fussed about my peppers, preferring the tomatoes and other more colourful flowers in the garden. The Hoverflies can't get enough though, seems they're the main pollinators of my peppers!

bees and worms, two of the coolest life forms, unfortunately the bees in my area don't want to touch my peppers, they will visit any yellow and blue flower but leave the whites alone. not sure why. i have tomatoes right beside my peppers and the bees will visit the tomatoes, hover around the peppers as to check them out, then "buzz off". they do visit the pinkish leaves of my cherry trees.

The bees love my peppers, and I work beside them all the time. We both go about our jobs and haven't had any incidents yet.

I just love when I see them go under the canopy knowing they will be in there for awhile spreading the love.

Love the bees. I plant tons of basil and keep most of the buds pinched so I can get them bushy for pesto harvesting. But I always designate one or two to go free to flower so the bees will come. As the season goes on I get lazier in pinching the buds and then I get to the point where I just let them all go nuts. Because the plants have been allowed to grow big and bushy the flower stems they throw up are huge! The bees love it.:cool:

Just came back from my garden bench. It was fun watching the bees spread the love. I would watch bees work on a flower of a pepper plant, them move to a nearby plant and work on one of he flowers. I see how easy it is to produce crosses. I then saw thw bees work on flowers of nearby cucumber plants. If cross species vegatable hybrids were possible, I could have an interesting crop next year.

imagine a Jolokumber.

Bees are everywhere here. They seem to love yellow flowers. I let my broccoli go to seed and my house is surrounded by bees. They hang out near the broccoli mostly, but have a look at everything else flowering, native plants, weeds and everything else. I let them do their thing, and they leave me alone when I'm close by.
They knock off work at about 5pm, so I wait until then before doing anything major in the garden as I don't want to accidently upset one and get stung. But I can get pretty close normally.
I haven't seen a hover fly for a while, they were mainly around early in the year when there were some aphid attacks. Nice to know they are around when I need them though.

Banker bees that knock off at 5. I think I have some of those here too. This year I haven't seen many yellow jackets around the house which makes it not so bad if I do get stung. Sat on a bumble in the Hab Tunnel a month ago and watched him run away on the ground without his stinger as I yelped and realized it was just a sting. Yellow jackets are persistent, as anyone who has ever had one fly in your shirt knows.

Banker bees that knock off at 5. I think I have some of those here too.
Yeah it's quite funny they all seem to disappear around that time. It's only just turned spring here, and my yard is shaded by trees, so I guess they just leave when the light starts fading.
I have caught one or two try for some overtime pay though, but they're always on their own. :) Edit: maybe got sent back out because they didn't bring enough pollen in during the day? Or maybe just a workaholic?

Love the bees. I plant tons of basil and keep most of the buds pinched so I can get them bushy for pesto harvesting. But I always designate one or two to go free to flower so the bees will come. As the season goes on I get lazier in pinching the buds and then I get to the point where I just let them all go nuts. Because the plants have been allowed to grow big and bushy the flower stems they throw up are huge! The bees love it.:cool:
+1, and I also let a lot of broccoli go to flower, as I get lazy cutting it. They love broccoli, sage and squash flowers. Interesting, rarely see them on the pepper flowers, as BC and others mentioned.

Seems like a much bigger population of bees this year also. Hopefully that problem causing bee 'colony collapsing' has been cycled out of the ecosystem..... :cool:

The bees really go crazy for the garlic chive blooms around this time of year. I don't mind working in the garden along side the bees, and they don't bother me. However, we have tons of paper wasps here, and I've been stung twice in the last week. Hate those things! :mad: They all over the garden, especially the sunflowers and grapevines. They are eating my grapes, stick their whole head inside one and drink till they are intoxicated, and when I go to pick some to eat they try to chase me off. They also chase me when I'm out cutting the grass, or just watering the plants. They seem to get more aggressive towards the end of the season. All of the stings I've gotten have been around this time of year. Not sure what's up with that.

Back