• If you can't find a "Hot" category that fits, post it here!

Water As An Ingredient In Hot Sauce

D3monic said:

Pretty much, just anything in the nose for some reason bothers me. Like you got a boogie hanging there. 

My favorites are small hoops in side of lip and dimple piercings. Not a fan of tongue piercings just because the sound they make clacking on teeth but they aren't a solid no unlike septum. 

I'm indifferent to piercings in other places. 
:lol:  That's funny!  Now I'm going to think of that (and you~~) every time I see one.

Orekoc said:
The Prince Alberts are what freak me out. Just no. No. NO.
Don't knock it until....well, you know what they say.....;)

Well, while you may enjoy it on your partner(s), I'd just run screaming from the room. :scared:

But to each their own.  As long as there is consent in all parties, do your own thing, or is that thang? :party:
Anyway, guess we all derailed this thread pretty good. :cheers:
salsalady said:
Don't knock it until....well, you know what they say..... ;)

I just had a thought.. if you threw a pepper in the pacific ocean you would make the hottest sauce in the world :P

Salsalady and or anyone else with ideas.

any thoughts on how to keep a fresh sauce(not  heated, fermented )  from separating.    Fresh wiri wiri blitzed with a bit of lime zest, garlic cloves, salt,   thinning liquids were vinegar and rum. 

it isn't a critical problem.   fresh sauce so needs to be eaten within the week and right now I am just shaking it up before each use.  Would be nice to have it not separate if I give to others though.   Some kind of gum or  modified cornstarch thickener maybe like instant clearjel is my first instinct but if you have knowledge of a better way I would be appreciative. 

salsalady said:
Fyi...The hot pepper awards and all the other major competitions are open to commercially processed and licensed sauces. No hobby sauces. But there are tons of folks around here that would trade or work out a private deal with you. If it is as great as you claim, I'd like to try it. I need some new sauces to take and share at my community making hot sauce class this winter. Send me a pm. I'll trade for a sriracha sauce (which does contain water as it was fermented) a spicy steak sauce, maybe something else depending on how many you want to trade.

PS...My ghost fire hot sauce has won first place and second place in all the major competition and it contains water. It is in no way watered down.

Hi Salsalady. I will definitely enter my sauces into some competitions. And there are plenty more things to come. I'd be more than delighted to trade sauces.

As far as your ghost sauce winning awards. That is fantastic.

I truly think my points have been lost in a lot of what has been said here. When I joined this forum I had zero idea that it was full up with hot sauce makers. I thought it was chileheads like me. I did not investigate the forum, the threads. I just jumped in and started a discussion. Now I love a good sauce. But you can never make a truly good sauce if you don't know your peppers. I'm sure we can all agree on that. As I mentioned previously, I made the initial comment to fellow chileheads. I thought for sure I would get a lot of high fives etc... People who love fresh chiles would be chiming in and saying how much we love the natural flavors of the peppers. Well that was not the case, obviously. So I defended my perspective. Water does, in fact, dilute any solution. I understand a lot of hot sauce makers are using mashes and powders. Thus water is required to reconstitute and break down mashes. And water is a powerful cooking tool. I am not saying that your sauces do not have flavor, or that they are not good. But you have to understand my perspective. I'm a chilehead first then a sauce maker second. I literally grow thousands of pounds of exotic and gourmet hot peppers in my front yard. I have experimented with peppers in my cooking for years. It does not matter if I'm frying bacon, cooking mussels in coconut milk with basils, steamed salmon salad, smoked pork butt, grilled rib-eyes or any number delicious gourmet things that I cook on a regular basis....every single dish has a chile pepper attached. Sometimes two. I know my peppers. I know how to use heat shields like cream, butter, sugar, fruit, honey etc... that cook into the pepper, create a chemical reaction with the pepper molecules to get the flavor I want. I tell you these things to explain the reasoning behind my comment. It was not meant to offend.

When I talk to people I always listen like they know something that I don't Because that is the truth. Everyone you meet knows something you don't know. I completely understand the points that many have made in regard to this conversation. You can use water to tame your dish to get the flavor you want. I get it. I understand it and I do the very same thing in certain dishes. So please do not think that I am condescending anyone in this discussion. Though I wish I could say the same about some of you.

Anyway, I'll PM you and thank you for gracious response. I love the idea of trading sauces.

I  checked out your linked website.  That is some pretty cool hydroponics going on there with the fish poop and worm poop, the fish pond, all good stuff. 

Sounds like you have done a lot of pepper cooking.  I'm looking forward to trying your sauces. 
SL

Ashen said:
I just had a thought.. if you threw a pepper in the pacific ocean you would make the hottest sauce in the world :P

Salsalady and or anyone else with ideas.

any thoughts on how to keep a fresh sauce(not  heated, fermented )  from separating.    Fresh wiri wiri blitzed with a bit of lime zest, garlic cloves, salt,   thinning liquids were vinegar and rum. 

it isn't a critical problem.   fresh sauce so needs to be eaten within the week and right now I am just shaking it up before each use.  Would be nice to have it not separate if I give to others though.   Some kind of gum or  modified cornstarch thickener maybe like instant clearjel is my first instinct but if you have knowledge of a better way I would be appreciative. 

Things like xanthan, guar, carageenan can help as well as many natural fruits and vegetables like apple, sweet potato, okra, and a bunch others that I can't remember at the moment~  :lol:  They work to keep all the little particles suspended while the bottle is resting so it doesn't get that separation layer.

Separation isn't such a bad thing and even things like KETCHUP and MUSTARD separate.  How many times have you popped the bottle and dumped out that runny liquid that is NOT catsup? 

If you want to keep the sauce flavor exactly as is and want to prevent separation, I'd suggest xanthan.  It is available in some grocery stores and most health food stores as it is a common ingredient in gluten-free baking.  Xanthan/guar/carageenen/arabic and other natural thickeners are also used in a TON of commercial foods ranging from salad dressings to coffee creamer, to ice cream.

Some ingredients need to be heated/cooked for their thickening qualities to come out.  Apples and okra come to mind.  Xanthan is a great product in that it doesn't have to be heated or cooked to work.  It works with cold things so I think it would work with your fresh sauce.  Another option might be to take a small portion of the sauce, cook it with whatever pectin or other ingredient you want to use, make a really thick sauce and then cut it with the rest of the fresh ingredients to get it to the desired consistency. 
Hope this helps, sorry to again hijack Captain Caliente's thread.
SL

The Hot Pepper said:
Back on track

The water makes it hotter

A little smoke on the water makes fire in the sky..... 

Captain Caliente,

I too make vinegar forward sauces and am a big fan of incorporating tomato as I find the acidity to square well as a carrier and the added flavor for me is icing on the cake...

Would be my honor to send you some to try. What I've gleaned from what you've said -  I believe my point "A" to point "B"  isn't so much different than yours. I understand your development ideas and I expect that your sauces are on point. I would very much enjoy giving them a whirl. I am a student more so than a teacher here.

Metaphorically speaking, when I landed here I was on the cusp of a dream and crawling. Slowly, I have begun to walk... It is my hope than not so far away I can claim to be running... If not, it damn sure won't be for lack of trying or a bad product.    :cheers:

PM to follow.

Reggie

Ashen said:

For fresh the answer is really don't "blitz" it. This creates air and a froth in the sauce and as those air pockets disappear you get separation. You can use your knife skills or a double mezzaluna on a cutting board. 

I once saw this show on a fresh hot sauce/salsa and the guy just threw the raw ingredients and some salt on the cutting board and rocked it out with a mezzaluna, got pretty fine as well...

You can get a set like this and you won't lose the juices: https://amzn.to/2RfYiu2 (it's small but you get the idea)

Walchit said:
Lets see this thing!

Come by the farm. I know for a fact that I've created something so unique in the hot pepper world that it is mind blowing. It is special. I can grow and have grown more peppers than most people. It's because that is what I decided to do several years ago. It was obvious that the garden was special and able to grow copious amounts of food. I decided to make it a hot pepper kingdom. It is spectacular. Now I make hot sauce. I can't harvest the peppers fast enough. The pepper plants are so heavy with huge, delicious, thick walled peppers that the branches are leaning over the sides of the grow beds. And these beds are four feet off of the ground. Each plant with several hundred peppers just growing out toward the ground. Meanwhile the plant sprouts more branches straight up out of the center of the beds with more blossoms. It is a serious issue. How can I harvest so many incredible peppers fast enough?

Back