• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

water Watering dilema

Blister said:
Looks like the plants in the first two pictures are really missing some vital nutes as well. The leaves are pretty curled on a bunch of them.

I was putting the leaf curl down to overwatering, they (being Diablos) have been producing good sized pods. Lack of nutrient is a distinct possibility.

LV,

The amount of water compared to the number and size of the pots doesn't seem to be much different from I do (if I converted metric to US close to correctly!) but it depends on how often you do it.

Most of my technique is based on growing in dirt for decades. The first thing I learned, at maybe six years of age, was that it is better for plants to be thirsty rather than over-hydrated. It will force the roots to grow stronger. I've gotten to the point that unless seedlings are starting to wilt a tad, I don't worry much about watering them.

I also know that the moistness or dryness of the top of the ground is immaterial. Anything less than three inches deep doesn't count.

Nitrogen is great - early in a plant's life. After that, it does nothing that helps the plant produce more fruit. This is especially true if one adds organic matter to the soil, even more so when it is four-six inches deep. We always sowed winter wheat on the fields where we raised tobacco. We plowed it (roots and foliage alike) under in mid to late April and planted in late May. I have adapted the idea for containers - put a layer of dirt in the bottom, then green leaves and more dirt. Mix it up than keep adding dirt, potting mix or compost until I fill the container.

Thankfully, I don't raise many plants in containers (~40) so this doesn't take weeks to do!

Mike

wordwiz said:
I bury my containers (after I soak the water when first transplanting) so I don't have to worry about the sun drying out the sides.
Mike

Plus, once the potting mix comes out the drainage holes and makes contact with the soil you essentially have a raised bed right? Working smarter rather than harder. Nicely done....

Josh said:
Plus, once the potting mix comes out the drainage holes and makes contact with the soil you essentially have a raised bed right? Working smarter rather than harder. Nicely done....

Josh,

Thanks! Yeah, for the most part. But I don't know if one could grow 18 indeterminate tomato plants in 36 sq. ft. - that's what I'm attempting to do in the GH. So far, so good, but I'll be happier if the plants produce 3 pounds of ripe maters a week once they get mature.

Mike

I'm having the same problem, with 95F days its a bit hard not to water the plants as thier just not recovering before the next days heat. All of my plants that have pods are wilting but the non pod producing plants are fine.

I have the same temps over here in darkest Africa, and I am allowing them to wilt - sometimes for three or four days - before flooding. I am not sure of the wisdom of this, but my plants are surging in size and pod production, to a point where I'm really feeling guilty!

Actually, I've had to pot them up as they dry so quickly, they are falling over in the winds we're getting, which means of course that any rain is wasted since the bulk of the water misses the pot's aperture...

Well, I've repotted three of my plants today, the potting mix at the bottom was wet. So I have been overwatering them, I'm going to repot the rest of them and cross my fingers.

One of the Diablos was beyond help and the Fatalii is looking rather sad. My experimenting with potting mix has not been a total sucess, I'm going to blend the coir with a commercial potting mix with my next batch.

i don't know if anyone's brought this up, but are you overfertilizing? the same thing happened to me when i got overzealous with the nutes. learned the hard way...

ashrikala said:
i don't know if anyone's brought this up, but are you overfertilizing? the same thing happened to me when i got overzealous with the nutes. learned the hard way...

I may have got carried away with my fertilising. :oops:

Novacastrian said:
That's a most defiant fail....:P

The key word is 'may' ;) I wont even mention that it should be definite not defiant. :P

Feel free to adjust the meter as needed, I suppose 'may' qualifies.

Meters already set ;)

BTW i was using the word "defiant" in it's proper place. I was refering to your blatent dis-regard to all the info that is on this site!

Ka- POwwwwwwwww :rofl:

Quite the razz, yes??

Novacastrian said:
Meters already set ;)

BTW i was using the word "defiant" in it's proper place. I was refering to your blatent dis-regard to all the info that is on this site!

Ka- POwwwwwwwww :rofl:

Quite the razz, yes??

:lol: I see your point.

Well I've repotted some of my Choc Habs and Nova Nagas, the root ball was cut back and the plant placed into smaller pots.

Fingers crossed they'll recover and thrive again. My experimenting with potting mix needs to be refined more yet.

Lord, with your experimentation in regards to potting mixes i just had a thought.
Why not germ say half a dozen of the same seeds from the same pod and plant them in different mixes? It should show you what will work best in your area and would be a lot less stressful than making a mix only to find out that the plants suffer because of it.

Whatcha think?

Novacastrian said:
Lord, with your experimentation in regards to potting mixes i just had a thought.
Why not germ say half a dozen of the same seeds from the same pod and plant them in different mixes? It should show you what will work best in your area and would be a lot less stressful than making a mix only to find out that the plants suffer because of it.

Whatcha think?

That's a great idea, I'll give that a try out.

Back