• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds Watering Seedlings

I've got questions about watering seedlings...

In our previous episode I was raising my new batch of seeds in my heated / lit Chilitron 3000.

I'm very wary of over watering. I use a trigger pack to spray the seedlings (or soil before they pop up). It lives on top of the fluoro fitting above where the ballast is mounted giving the added bonus of luke warm water.

I mist every morning and every evening when I leave / come home. Its not unusual to see the top bits of organic matter in the soil lighter in colour (dry) before watering.

But the seed raising mix isn't deep a long way down. Should I water to the point where the soil is dampened the whole way through?

Seems like I'm been overly fussy but I'm wondering if this is a case of less isn't more.

Also for some odd reason the seeds on the outmost edges have the lowest propagation rates - I'm guessing this is because these locations are less insulated (by only having one adjoining column) and exposed to more heat from the heat mat below.

I might close one of the two side vents to reduce moisture loss (top vent is always open).

Thoughts people?

Cheers, Antony.

Thanks to Pam and AJ, I'm a big fan of bottom watering. Set the trays or cups (presuming they have drin holes in them) and let them soak up water until the soil is saturated at about the level of the seed. I did this once a week until the plants get larger and then as needed. The advantage is it seems to help develop deeper roots and prevents damping off.

Mike

I water from the bottom too. Depending on your setup, watering to a depth slightly deeper than the seeds sould be good. It woeked on mine last year. I didn't mist too much, but I had to water often to keep the seeds moist.

Good luck with your seedlings.

Back