• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds watering seedlings

I've actually been alternating my watering from top to bottom each time. I'm hoping to get the best of both worlds. I've really enjoyed this thread so far. Lots of good information. I'm pretty open minded on most things so I really like seeing the argument for both sides of an argument.
Funny thing is I never really enjoyed biology. Now at 35 years old I wish I could go back in time and take a couple of gardening electives in college. I went to the university of Illinois too which has an awesome agricultural program. Hell, we had a field of corn growing over our underground library lol.

Jeff H said:
And what good it that going to accompolish? He actually does know what he is talking about if you can get past his argumentative personality. Juyst putting decent advice on ignore doesn't do anything but keep you from evaluating all of the good advice.

I couldn't agree more, but delivery is just as important as the actual message. Also not a fan of the ignore button, bit like putting your head in the sand.

I'm not religious, but will borrow anyway as an example. Imagine if Jesus started off every sermon with "You're all f**king idiots".

I wouldn't imagine anyone would give a shit what he had to say after that.

miguelovic said:
Imagine if Jesus started off every sermon with "You're all f**king idiots".

I wouldn't imagine anyone would give a shit what he had to say after that.
Lmao, that's a really funny thought. If I were Jesus I would have just started conversation with, "want to see me walk on water?" I believe people would listen to whatever you were saying after that. But if they hesitated, then I'd hold up a cup of water and say "who wants some wine!!?" Although then you would have a bunch of bum friends always wanting you to come over to change their water over. Lol

This is what happens when you water from the bottom. 
Nice looking and healthy plants.

Attachments

• 2-8-2015.jpg
    2-8-2015.jpg
    231.5 KB · Views: 44
  • 2-8-2015(2).jpg
    2-8-2015(2).jpg
    173.7 KB · Views: 36
  Beautiful plants Ocho. As I stated, I've never tried bottom watering. I've never had any problems top watering, but your plants put up a nice argument to at least give it a try.

Tim

I've watered my seedlings both ways and don't seem to notice a difference in their growths either way. In my simpleton thinking the goal is to get the soil in the pots/trays thoroughly wet how ever that is achieved. I then let the excess drain out and return them to their trays under the lights. To bottom water I fill a pan or tray with about 1"-2" of water. Then I place the inserts or 3 1/2" pots in the water and leave them in it until there is wetness visible on the surface of the soil. That's when I pull them and allow them to drain. I bottom water because I feel that allows the soil to be better saturated as some times I've watered on the top and my seedlings were dry before they should be. This I attribute to not getting my soil fully wet.  

Back