• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds Watering seedlings

I wonder if anyone can help me, Ive just transplanted my seedlings into small pots  as below .. whats going to be the best way to water them ...

from the top

from the bottom

Thanks

20160131_122706.jpg

20160131_122656.jpg

Both.

I start in coir plugs, so bottom water at the beginning.

After transplanting into three inch pots when they have at least two sets of true leaves, I top water until they get about three inches or four sets of true leaves. At this point, they usually have grown extensive roots, then I switch back to bottom watering for the duration until plant out.

However, if I occasionally find a pot has become too dry, I will give it a shot of top watering.

I'm really glad you asked this question because I was wondering myself.

At first I tried bottom watering, but the soil up near the roots never got wet. I've switched to top watering for now, but have been (the best that I can) checking to see how far down the roots have traveled. Once they are near the bottom of the cup, I'll switch to bottom watering.

Your roots are not at the bottom of the cup yet. So top watering insures that the root zone stays moist. Once the roots reach the bottom then bottom watering is always called for!

Many thanks for all the reply's,
Yes it makes sense that top watering until the roots hit the bottom is advisable then switch to bottom

So when bottom watering do you put maybe an inch of water in a tray and leave for say 1/2 hour ?

I just add about a 1/4 inch of water when bottom watering, and let the plants absorb that. They take it up fairly quickly if they need it, perhaps five to ten minutes.

The 'weight' method is the best I have found for determining when to water, however, it takes practice to get it right.

Of course, I often water daily, but usually every other day, once the plants are well established in three inch pots, but again, only if they need it.

There are many factors to consider; ambient temperature, airflow, humidity, growing medium, light type and intensity, etc.

Once the plants are established, underwatering will, in my experience, present less problems than overwatering. In fact, some have suggested that it is actually good for the plants to start 'drooping' before watering.

Back