• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

water Watering

How often should I water my Habs? Right now I water them once a day since they're outside and by the next day the soil is dry. Am I watering too much?

If you stick your finger down in the soil a few inches and it feels bone dry or the Habs are starting to wilt then that's when I'd water them.

whenever they start to wilt....

AlabamaJack said:

biggest problem i have had with this year (my first) has been overwatering and the finger method as r.b stated is the best..or as my other chili guru A.J says water them when they wilt :beer:

AlabamaJack said:

That and Rb's way is probably the best way. If fact, with so many afternoon storms here, i had to move my caribbean reds back a ways because it would rain so hard and fast that not only were they getting way overwatered(and i hadn't watered them in a month), but the rain also came down so hard it literally dug all the soil out of my pots.

Sickmont said:
with so many afternoon storms here

I forget what rain is....hadn't had any at my house in 5 weeks so my rain barrel system has been empty for 3....water bill is going to get ugly.....

AlabamaJack said:
I forget what rain is....hadn't had any at my house in 5 weeks so my rain barrel system has been empty for 3....water bill is going to get ugly.....

Sorry to hear that AJ. You want me to try to swing a tropical system or two your way?

I go by the wilt system as well as how the leaves feel. Sometimes, near the end of the day when the sun has been very hot for hours, they are wilting but the leaves still feel very sturdy. As soon as the sun goes down on those days the leaves perk right back up so no watering is needed. But if the leaves feel rubbery, like they have lost a lot of water, then it is time to give them a drink.

Okay well I do have a little baby growing in the pot. It somehow got pushed to the side or grew up like that. It's just a little tiny grass looking thing with two sides looking like they're ready to peel off the main "stem". Sound like habs?

Ken_Allen said:
Okay well I do have a little baby growing in the pot. It somehow got pushed to the side or grew up like that. It's just a little tiny grass looking thing with two sides looking like they're ready to peel off the main "stem". Sound like habs?

A teeny stem with 2 things on it?

Yeah, thats Habs for sure. Absolutely! ;)

rainbowberry said:
If you stick your finger down in the soil a few inches and it feels bone dry or the Habs are starting to wilt then that's when I'd water them.

Do you water everything when one thing starts to wilt or do you hit everything once the watering can comes out?

I have yet to see my Habs wilt. My Thais and Naga's always wilt first and then I hit everything with water including the Habs. Usually every other day.

Should I only water the wilting plants and leave the Habs till they wilt too?
I do not see any signs of over watering on anything. No leaf curl, no yellowing, no flower dropping. They all look nice and green and healthy.

Ow! Just rubbed my eye and it started to burn. Was playing with an unripe Caribbean last night...

Skyjerk said:
Do you water everything when one thing starts to wilt or do you hit everything once the watering can comes out?

I have yet to see my Habs wilt. My Thais and Naga's always wilt first and then I hit everything with water including the Habs. Usually every other day.

Should I only water the wilting plants and leave the Habs till they wilt too?

I don't purposely wait for them to wilt too much, not like I did here.

17062008117.jpg
17062008116.jpg

I usually water when the soil is bone dry and the pot feels very light, most of them get watered at the same time.

one thing to remember is during pod production, stressing the plant makes the pods hotter...sooooooooo....with my plants looking almost as bad as RBs in the picture almost every day when I get home, I should have some hot hot pods...

The ones indoors often get like that but not so much the outdoor ones, strange I know considering I don't live in my greenhouse. Like AJ said it's fine when they're producing pods but I would never try and stress a plant out when it's younger.

Its been so hot and dry here Im actually going to start watering them twice a day and cut back on how much I give them each time. Everytime I come home form work they are wilted like the Rainbows so Im going to give them some in the morning to make it through the heat of the day and some when I get home ot try and even them out.

Necrocannibal said:
Its been so hot and dry here Im actually going to start watering them twice a day and cut back on how much I give them each time. Everytime I come home form work they are wilted like the Rainbows so Im going to give them some in the morning to make it through the heat of the day and some when I get home ot try and even them out.

Yeah, if they're wilting that bad i'd have to agree that they need more watering

Necrocannibal said:

that's what I have been doing for the past month...little drink in the morning then a bigger drink in the evening....then about every 4th day, I will "deep" water them...

we had a "cool front" come through yesterday so it is only going to be 100 today...

I'm watering once in the morning (evening too if really hot and sunny but that's like pigs flying). I "deep" water them every Saturday morning.

Back