• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

pests weird bug

pam - I went to the site whatsthatbug (that bent listed in another thread) & put that name in search & it comes back as a ladybug, now i feel kinda stupid not knowing it was a ladybug :)
if this is correct then I dont have anything to worry about, correct ? & I guess I shouldnt of killed a couple of the others :lol:
but again thank you very much for helping me figure out what bug I'm dealing with.

if unsure about bugs, you have to kill them. they can reproduce so quickly that while you take some time to identify whether or not they are good guys they can do irreparable damage. work out how many hours it took chilehunter to identify these bugs, enough time for several generations to destroy his entire crop! luckily they were good ones.

chilehunter said:
pam - I went to the site whatsthatbug (that bent listed in another thread) & put that name in search & it comes back as a ladybug, now i feel kinda stupid not knowing it was a ladybug ;)

Don't. We all have to start somewhere. I started a Monarch Waystation for my parents a couple of years ago; the things I've learned about monarchs and milkweed since then has been staggering, and my background is in biology.

if this is correct then I dont have anything to worry about, correct ?

If this is correct, you have something to celebrate. Labybug larvae are voracious pest eaters! Most people have to go to garden centers and pay to get the little critters, and you're getting them for free.

chilliman64 said:
if unsure about bugs, you have to kill them.

* rolls up newspaper, commences to thwacking chilliman64*

No! No! No!

Bad chilliman64...bad!

they can reproduce so quickly that while you take some time to identify whether or not they are good guys they can do irreparable damage. work out how many hours it took chilehunter to identify these bugs, enough time for several generations to destroy his entire crop! luckily they were good ones.

Oh, hogwash.

Even aphids take a couple of days to reach sexual maturity, and besides, peppers are sturdy plants, they can take a little munching. With the Internet at hand, bug ID is just a couple of clicks away. Not to mention it's only sensible to become familiar with the common insect pests in your area *before* your plants get infested.

The problem with a "kill it!!!!" attitude is that killing *all* the bugs on your plants indiscriminately actually makes it easier for the bad bugs like aphids or *spit!* thrips to recolonize in larger and larger numbers. Most beneficials have longer life cycles than the pests they feed on, so, they take longer to recover from being wiped out on a group of plants.

Generally, you're not going to kill all the bad bugs, like aphids, or else your plants can quickly be recolonized from the same source. In the time it takes one ladybug to grow up and become sexually mature, aphids can go through 4 to 8 generations, depending on the weather. Every time you wipe out the ladybugs, you give the aphids time to build their numbers up to where they *can* dmamge a plant.

Now, are you going to listen to reason, or shall I commence to thwacking again?

Hmmm. Well if the BIQ (bug in question) cannot be identified as friend or foe through HUMINT (human intelligence) RUMINT (rumor intelligence) or SIGINT (signals intelligence), and left to dig in and go underground, the only thing to do is bring in the GBU 54 Bunker Buster to take the TBIQ's (terrorist bug in question) out in a surgical strike thus reducing collateral damage to the PPIG's (pepper plants in question). All other BIQ's other than the identified TBIQ's will be deemed noncombatants and should exit the AO (area of operations) immediately or suffer the consequences. Should the first strike prove unsuccessful following a thorough BDA (battle damage assessment) then and only then will the use of WMBD's (weapons of mass bug destruction) will be authorized. Make sure the little warning leaflets are dropped prior to the 2nd strike that noncombatants may exit the target area. Carry on. Semper Fi!

Back