• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

chinense Weird Pepper Shape for a Scorpion

AlabamaJack

Extreme Member
It seems every year I will have a plant or two that puts out pods that are weird shaped or not shaped the way they are supposed to be.

This year is no exception...I have one plant that is the offspring of a red scorpion that had a long long tail last year....and they were grown in isolation...at least a mile from the nearest other pepper plants...the seeds I sent out to a few people labeled "long tailed scorpion" are where this one came from...

It looks like a Yellow Bhut Jolokia but is flat...here is a picture...

07-05-12a001.jpg

they are superhot and pretty decent size but dang sure don't look like any scorpion I have ever grown...

Interesting. Is it safe to assume all the pods on the plant are similarly shaped and colored? I am wondering if the nearest other pepper plants might belong to someone else, possibly closer than you think. Or, possibly, pollen got fairly stuck on a bee (or other insect) and transported that far.

I did have a few scorp pods on a single plant last year that didn't have tails, but they were exceptions rather than the rule, and there was no color difference.

yup...all of the peppers on this plant have the same shape....am almost positive no other pepper plants were close to them G last year....and the pod the seed for this plant came from looked like

07-05-12c002.jpg

That's just how mother nature rolls!
:rofl:

Both look purrrrty!!
How does it taste,taste wise,and not hot wise. Fruity Smokey? Or still the like the yummies of the TS??

here is a shot of the pepper showing how flat is it...

Untitled-1.png

I hate not putting a scale in these, but the are the size of a bic lighter

it still has the trinidad taste traits...

and I will definitely grow these next year too...I am thinking these are F2s so pod shape and color variation is expected...

HAHA - Scorpalokia! That is classic!
I am definitely going to breed a Scorpalokia this fall when I pull cones of the best plants into the isolation tents.

That's awesome.

I think they might be a Scorpalokia or a Scorpanero

they look very similar to some of my crosses

thanks your friend Joe

maybe so Just....I am thinking a red scorpion got crossed with a red bhut 2 years ago...the inside of the pepper doesn't look like any Trinidad variety I have grown rather it resembles a Bhut inside...and yes, it has the typical trinidad taste to it...

@ joe - no made up names here...I will just call it a mystery cross...

The Alabama Flap Jack? Lol im joking,I know you don't do the whole butcher the name game:)

Thats one of the coolest looking pod growth I've seen. I mean considering the drastic changes.. Just really neat to see everyones pics of the pods from year to year. Yes I do stalk old threads,but only in hopes of finding some of the deep dark secrets of knowledge!!!!

Is their a reason why these "deflate" like this. One of my 7PI had a pepper kinda like this,but at a 45 degree angle from about the mid line to the stem. Almost like someone stepped on it at an angle,or like i said...someone stuck it with a needle and popped 1/3 of the balloon. All the other pods formed normal.... So I figured nows a good time to ask...haha
Sorry,Not trying to hijack AJ:( This just happen to be a perfect thread:)

\Thats one of the coolest looking pod growth I've seen. I mean considering the drastic changes.. Just really neat to see everyones pics of the pods from year to year. Yes I do stalk old threads,but only in hopes of finding some of the deep dark secrets of knowledge!!!!

Is their a reason why these "deflate" like this. One of my 7PI had a pepper kinda like this,but at a 45 degree angle from about the mid line to the stem. Almost like someone stepped on it at an angle,or like i said...someone stuck it with a needle and popped 1/3 of the balloon. All the other pods formed normal.... So I figured nows a good time to ask...haha
Sorry,Not trying to hijack AJ:( This just happen to be a perfect thread:)

thanks Fremp...I have no clue as to why they are flat but all the pods on this plant are that way...just genetics I suppose....definitely gonna be an overwinter and I will grow these seeds next year to see how close they are...

I haven't seen a bhut in person, but the flatness of that makes me think more along the lines of fatalii.

Fatalii are more triangular than flat to me G....and I don't think I have grown a Fatalii in 3 years...

maybe so Just....I am thinking a red scorpion got crossed with a red bhut 2 years ago...the inside of the pepper doesn't look like any Trinidad variety I have grown rather it resembles a Bhut inside...and yes, it has the typical trinidad taste to it...

@ joe - no made up names here...I will just call it a mystery cross...
but there not made up to me LOL
"i reject your reality and substitute it for my own" (LOL)
no really Jack that's what i call mine because i know for sure that's what they are
i light of your pepper i dont know what it is, i was just cross referencing it with a few of mine
thanks your friend Joe

understand Joe...

i have some on my scorpion plant that look like true scorps and some that look just like those, but they don't really look yellow like that they go to orange then red.

it sure is funny how strong the Bhut comes out in every cross! I definitely notice that in all the Bhut crosses I've seen, Nonetheless those seeds are worth keeping Jack! :)

Back