• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Weird scotch bonnet

Hi there,

I've been growing various types of chillies in my greenhouse and most seem fine but I've noticed the skin of my scotch bonnets has a cracked effect and some of my jolokia's have it on the very tip. Do the chilli experts here have any idea what could cause this?

I grow all my chillies in a greenhouse in the UK and feed them every week with chilli focus and always let them approach dryness before watering again.

SAM_1738Copy.jpg

Welcome to the board. No, I have no idea. What kind of dirt are you using? I ask because some store- bought potting soils come w/ nutrients already added. One reason I haven't used concentrated plant food much other than something like diluted MirGro. Someone else here probably has better ideas than me. I've only been growing going on @ 2yrs myself.

It's "corking". Not sure exactly what causes it. Some of my Scorpions have it as well. It seem the bigger ones have it. It's almost like "stretch marks" that the the fat peppers get. Dont think it hurts anything, wouldnt worry about it.

:welcome: to THP and Greetings from the Metrolina in North Carolina !
[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)] "The taste is followed by a vicious hot spicy bite"[/background][background=rgb(255, 244, 228)] [/background][background=rgb(255, 244, 228)] :flamethrower:[/background][background=rgb(255, 244, 228)] [/background][background=rgb(255, 244, 228)] :onfire:[/background][background=rgb(255, 244, 228)] [/background]

in jalapenos it is a sign of ripeness, and a sure sign of maximum heat level

next time you go to the grocery store, look for them, buy one corked and one not and compare

Back