• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Weird stalks on my Orange Habs.

I have looked at a lot of pics of Orange Habs and haven't seen any that have weird stalks like mine. It looks like the plants have grown a pseudo cage around the main stalk to protect it. If you look at the main stalk that comes out of the soil you will see it has remained fairly skinny and didn't grow very tall at all. Then notice the other stalks that have branched off of it and are much taller than it. They make up the height of the plant and are larger in diameter than the main stalk. I think something may have stunted the original growth and to compensate for this the habs produced the other stalks to continue its upward growth. Is this a good thing? I can only assume that it is since the plants appear to be doing well (aside from me trying to kill them with a soapy water spray that was WAY to strong). Any insight or comments on this weird growth would be more than welcome.

Plant #1
021.jpg

029.jpg

Plant #2
020.jpg

030.jpg

Plant #3
019.jpg

031.jpg

Thanks for looking.

I dont think you have anything to worry about. One of my orange scotch bonnets has done that and it's still producing and looking pretty healthy.

Nothing weird there; the plant looks healthy to me. I've got an orange with 3 stems and topped 2 others to get them to bush out. That should pod up just fine. Cheers.

Interesting....I have an Orange Hab with a very very similar stem layout this year. It looks a LOT like yours. It's growing beautifully, with many pods. Nothing wrong there, just an interesting variation on the usual growth plan.

Back