• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds Welcome to HF and my germination!

Hey Guys,
I am new and this is my very first post! I have never grown peppers before but came across some seeds the other day and have been giving it a shot! Where I am from Green Chile is incredibly popular so we popped a few of those seeds and they are looking beautiful! Once I figure out how to post picture on here I will show you guys our garden and and what we have so far!

about 6 days ago I came across some TMS and Early Jalps. I am popping the seeds in rock wool blocks because I love the way they hold moisture for germination. I soaked the blocks in Ph 5.5 water and got the blocks to be around 6.0. I added a one drop of Rapid start to each block. This is kind of where my question is. Did I screw up my germination by adding rapid start? Its been 6 days and I have not seen any seedlings pop out of the blocks. I have kept the blocks at 82-84 degrees and they have plenty of moisture. 

Again ill have pictures of everything up soon!

:dance: Hydro Fyre :dance:  

Welcome.  Give the jalapenos another week and the Morugas another month+.  Anuums germinate alot faster than chinenses... but can still take up to 2 weeks.... and of course chinenses are notorious for taking absolutely forever.  For future reference, try lowering the temps a little... 75-80 its the best range IME.  Also... germination in soilless media (vermiculite/cococoir... etc)  is the most tried and true way to germ.... (after soaking the seeds over-night in warm water.)  Rockwool cubes may be good for larger seeds... but I dont know how good they are for small planar seeds like peppers and tomatos--they may even get too* much water depending on your set-up.

They can take a long time to germ I wouldn't say chinense are notorious for taking longer to germ it just depends on the quality of the seed if those are 5 year old seeds they can take a while and have lower germination rates. Leave them in there for a month or so. I have had germination rates vary so much from 4 days to 5 months persistance is key.

Albuquerque huh?

Welcome to THP.                                                                                                               From St. Aug.

weird-al-breaking-bad-650x442.jpg

Welcome.  Give the jalapenos another week and the Morugas another month+.  Anuums germinate alot faster than chinenses... but can still take up to 2 weeks.... and of course chinenses are notorious for taking absolutely forever.  For future reference, try lowering the temps a little... 75-80 its the best range IME.  Also... germination in soilless media (vermiculite/cococoir... etc)  is the most tried and true way to germ.... (after soaking the seeds over-night in warm water.)  Rockwool cubes may be good for larger seeds... but I dont know how good they are for small planar seeds like peppers and tomatos--they may even get too* much water depending on your set-up.

Thanks! Im sitting here expecting to see tips come out like 5-6 days after I put them in the blocks. Honestly a bit of relief! I guess Ill have to pop something else in the mean time while I wait! Yeah the seeds were pretty small so maybe even when they do pop the seedling wont reach the top of the block? Thanks for the response tho! :D

And PepperDaddler, how did you know I love weird al?! Oh and my Hydro store is about 2 miles away from "308 Negro Arroyo lane" ;) 

Hey guys! Finally figured out how to post my pictures on here :)
So without any more hesitation here ya go! Tell me what you think!

This is a picture of my garden right when I turned the lights on as to fight the yellowing from my lamps. I don't like the way the rest of my pictures look with my HPS lamps

Here is the 1st "Early Jalepeno" that has pushed out of the Rock wool block!

Hope you guys Enjoy :)
BTW these pictures are actually taken inside my veg chamber! Ill have pictures uploaded with my real garden soon!

Alright, so it seems that a few of the seeds that had popped and started pushing their way out of the block began to grow mold on them :( I kept them all in the same condition, the only thing that could be different is that the some of the bags might have been opened a little more than the others. Is it better to have the bag sealed off or keep them open so fresh air can get in?

Once my seedlings break ground I take the cover off of them. Warmth no fresh air and moisture creates a bad environment that mold loves.

Once my seedlings break ground I take the cover off of them. Warmth no fresh air and moisture creates a bad environment that mold loves. 

Awesome, pulled the ones out of bags that sprouted and they all seem a bit happier! Thanks Rebel! Pictures soon!

Hey guys, doing a little middle of the night update! Ill start off with, 23 years ago on this day the world changed! ;) Today Is my birthday and I figured id share that with you guys. Other than that there isnt a whole lot of huge things happening in the garden as of lately, We finally got our flower room set up and cleaned out so now our plants have a good amount of room to grow. Some of them are getting to a pretty decent size and some are even producing fruits! :D

Here is a nice wide scale picture of our garden. Not a whole lot of veg activity but we sure are popping a ton of seeds!!!! We are popping seeds in all of the rock wool blocks and also the humidifier dome is filled with about 60 Chile seeds. We are going to use them as display plants in our hydroponics store! The green chile loves the dry air here in New Mexico!

Some of the Green hatch chile that we popped about 2 months ago are starting to produce a good amount of fruit. We have 3 adult green chile plants. 1 of the plants topped itself and is growing 3 stalks of chiles. 

I have 2 chile plants each about a month and 2 weeks old. SInce I do npt know very much about chiles and growing plants like them I decided to allow one to flower. The other I have been picking the pods off as they come in. I am betting this will push the 2nd plant back into vegetative growth and get larger. Correct me if I am wrong :)

Hmmmm so it seems I have had a bit of misfortune with my current seeds. I believe they were very old because half of the seeds popped after 2 weeks. Most of the plants had trouble getting out of their seed after it had broken the ground. Blocks ended up getting mold. Had to clean house ladies and gentlemen :/

I am going to be starting a journal very soon. I just ordered a couple packs of peppers from Pepperlover.com
I have seen a good amount of reviews suggesting that is one of the better sites to get seeds from! I am excited to get some healthy seeds! I will link the Journal grow here very soon!

:dance: HYDROFYRE :dance:
:drunk: HYDROLYFE :drunk:

Back