• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Well. That sucks.

Good chance they were "DISGUSTED" with the view as they drove past in route to their tidy sanctuaries
I have full video of my property both inside and out
Progressively over 2yrs Ive spent less then $2K(upgraded twice to outside camera's)
One click of a mouse or open my phone and I can see everything crystal clear that has gone on here.
We are careful in the Master bedroom of coarse,honey did you unplug the camera . . . . . ? :dance:  :rofl:  :shh: 

Noah Yates said:
Also.... dont give up on your 3-year-old scorpion.  Give it a chance to sprout from the stump... there may be just enough time for it to shoot out a few sprigs before the winter comes.

I agree with this.  One of my Congo Trinidads was victim to a stray ball during a game of fetch with my dog, and it took the entire top off.  The only thing left was 1/2 inch of stump and one leaf sticking out of the dirt.  I left it alone and kept watering it and two months later its a full on pepper plant producing pods.  You've probably got a good root structure there with your 3 year old plant.  I'd try and save it.

I also like the idea of partially burying some pieces of re-bar, than planting a whole bunch of rye grass around it.  Rye grass grows really fast and really tall. 

When you do find out who did it I would not advise retaliation, but rather I suppose you could research your options to serve justice through the legal system.  You could probably call the police and just ask whether anything can be done about this sort of issue legally.  I cannot imagine that they can get away without paying the consequences of their inconsiderate, malicious, unconscionable deeds.  Tresspassing conjoined with vandalism.  And if it is an agency responsible for enforcing landscaping policies that commited the act, then they still should have given you multiple warnings before taking it into their own hands---- meaning that they would be liable for the destruction of property.

As I say, do not become engaged in an ongoing war with your "crazy neighbor."  It is ok to seek justice for the injustice that they caused, but if you get down in the mud with them.... then you will lose your high ground.

F*$% poison ivy.... rofl..... thats almost as bad a problem to have as a crazy neighbor.

But I do like the possibility of there being cameras at the school.  That could be something the police could use to investigate. 
Another piece of advice would be to avoid letting your neighbors know that you plan to get the police involved while you are interogating them.  And thats another thing. Do your best to be calm and matter of fact about it.  Do not have an angry or grieved tone.... more of a curious tone.  "The strangest thing happened.... I woke up this morning to discover that someone had mown my grass for me.  Did you happen to see anything?..."   That is all you have to say.   After they have reacted.... then you can kind of let on the fact that you are "asking around in pursuit of this person because they "accidently" killed some valuable plants.... so you would like to tell them not to do it again... or to be more careful." 

You see... if you carefully act calm and nice about it, then you are much more likely to get the person to admit it was them.  Hell... I even just thought about how you could say that you wanted to thank them for the sentiment-- just to bait out an admition of guilt.  Then you can go home and call the police.

I'd definitely approach things in a calm manner.  Nobody wants to get in the middle of an angry dispute if they can avoid it, and nobody's going to admit to it if the crazy guy is yelling about trying to identify the bastard so he can make him pay.

Not only that, but I have neither the time nor energy to keep up a neighbourhood war.  I work during the day, sleep at night, and I'd rather spend my evenings having fun with my kids than plotting revenge and setting up defenses.  If I could identify the culprit I'd just get the police involved.  If it was a recurring issue, I'd get some video and charge/sue them.  $50 for small claims court, claim $500 landscaping fees to repair their damage, problem solved.  If it happens yet again, that's definitely a police matter as I can't be home enough to defend my family against that level of crazy.

Definitely get a police report.  If you or they can find a witness then convince the witness to testify on your behalf.  Start a civil suit and bring to court a couple itemized estimates from landscaping companies, what they want to replace your "EXOTIC" plants including excavation of old and planting of new.

It doesn't necessarily matter if replacing them now would do any good, just that you get reimbursed the money.  Not knowing the # of plants... that may end up in the hundreds of dollars + range.

This sucks beyond belief...
Revenge is a dish best served cold though.
You're short on proofs and don't have a precise suspect... get your police report anyway for future reference, setup your motion detection camera and wait... if you're allowed to place some serious fence.
In the meantime you can maybe find someone in your area with some spare plants to share. Replacing peppers plants will sure irritate the sucker and give you some relief while you wait to give him payback...

Good luck

Datil

I think it sucks no-one commented on your vigilawnte pun, a work of art.

If you do not take some form of violent revenge against the pepper murdering scum then they could strike any one of our plots next.  I am only 9,000 miles from you and sometimes my lawn gets long. 

That call the cops BS is very tangibly limited with a virtual negative return(if you need validated by a guy with a gun,badge and a piece of paper go for it)
Patience though tough to weather has unbelievable rewards,seeking solace via law enforcement is nothing short of retarded
From an LEO perspective it will be humorous,they will humor you with a report and return to LEO business,think of it as a forced doughnut break from viable police work.

Be patient, and que the Banjo's of " Deliverance " . . . . . . . :shh:

^  It has nothing to do with solace.  It's about getting it officially documented and having an extra set of legs to walk around asking if anyone saw it happen.   That will also make the neighbors aware that it happened so if they see anything suspicious in the future they are more likely to notice it.

... but hey, if your tax dollars are paying for law enforcement then you won't even use them when a crime is committed against you, that's your option.  That option also happens to make you easy prey for anyone who comes along because you can only do so much yourself before you justify them doing the same in return right back at you.

In court, claiming you were justified in doing something because a guy allegedly destroyed your property doesn't work well at all, especially not if you don't even have a police report proving your property was damaged, when it happened and your statement at the time.

You a cop?
You have experience in personal property damage reports to LEO?
IM ALL EARS!!!
Spare me the CSI semen stain evidence that supports your assumptive position

Something to consider - some cities have "service" departments that are about as anal as any homeowner's association. If your HO association or service department did it, they should have given you notice first. I'd suggest contacting them as a first measure. My city service department gets ridiculous sometimes, which is why I suggest this.

TNKS said:
You a cop?
You have experience in personal property damage reports to LEO?
IM ALL EARS!!!
Spare me the CSI semen stain evidence that supports your assumptive position

Yes I do have experience with personal property damage reports.  It should be considered an important if not required step in order to proceed with  civil suits, and documenting the event in general even if that's for no other reason than filing an insurance claim.  

I did not claim the police are going to look at physical evidence and solve the case that way, but you might be surprised that neighbors often notice the *wrong* person mowing down someone's lawn and garden.  It's not like that takes only 5 minutes or is quiet to do.

I guess you're the type of neighbor who would see your neighbor's property being damaged and get upset that they called the police, so you wouldn't even talk to the police and let them know you witnessed it, or is it that you're the type of neighbor that damages other people's property and want to be able to get away with it?  Either way I'm glad I'm not your neighbor.  Around here we look after each other.

Anyway another option at this point is putting a sign in the yard offering a reward for a witness to the event.  People often travel the same routes to and from work and home so passers by when it happened are likely to see the sign if it is well placed and large enough.

Wulf said:
It would appear that I'm involved in some sort of neighbourly dispute that I was unaware of over the length of my grass.

I woke up this morning to find that somebody had cut my lawn.  Only they didn't stop at the grass, they cut down every piece of vegetation over an inch tall.  My peppers, my strawberries, my tomatoes, the lilacs my wife had started, the elderberry bushes that were starting, etc.

No clue who did it.  Apparently it's easier to trespass and vandalize than it is to make the slightest indication that you're displeased with your neighbour's lawncare practices.

I could almost shrug it off and move on, but they destroyed my 3rd-year overwinter Trinidad Scorpions.  I'd managed to keep those things alive since I started growing, and then they die at the hands of some douche with boundary issues.

Bah.
"You Woke up"? So they did it at night and you didnt hear anything? Find the old retired people close to your house they did it or know who did. 

Back