• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue?
    Then ask in Identification.

health What am I doing wrong?!?!

Hey guys I have tried to search the forums for what could possibly be going on with my plants but I'm not having much luck.

I have my peppers in Fox Farms Ocean forest and they are in pretty big pots ( #5 squats)

Some of my leaves are starting to turn yellow on the edges and brown. New leaf growth on the top are yellow as well. They were doing fine for a while but this just started happening the last week or so.

I used Bonticare Pro Grow at 10ml per gallon on them last week (which is the dosage said to use)

I have not been overwatering, in fact I didnt give them a drink for about 3 weeks until last week when I used the Pro Grow

anyway here are the pics and as always any help or advice for this rookie pepper grower would be great! Thanks ahead of time guys!

pic 1--Here is the trinidad scorpion, the leaves are like half yellow half green, its not a reflection from the sun its the actual color of the leaves

pic 2--- this is the new growth on the same plant, as you can see the leaves are yellow and not that solid green i want to see

pic 3--- this is a bhut jolokia and its leaves are super yellow

pic 4----my bigger bhut jolokia plants the leave is browning crispy edge with some yellow to it, it is an older leaf so i dont know if that has anything to do with it

pic 5----close up of another bhut leaf

pic 6--- seven pot, as you can see there are once again yellow leaves and brown crispy edges

I really appricate the help again guys! I want these guys to grow up nice and big. super hot pods!!!!

If you guys have any questions feel free to ask thanks!

My guess would be too much fertilizer/nutes... try some plain water for a bit.
I'm a rookie too, but that seem sto be the response I've seen most often with this type of issue.

Good luck!

You want to avoid fertilizing stressed plants. Next time water first then add ferts later, preferably in the early am or evening when they arent heat or sun stressed.

Also I've never used that brand of soil, but from what I've read it may be too heavy/dense for peppers and need to have perlite added.

Thanks for the quick response guys!

how long should I lay off the ferts? That was the first time I have used it. Also should I cut off the brown/ yellow leaves or just let them be?

You can water them heavily to flush out the nutes. FF is good for about a month or two. They do not look that bad. Just lay low for awhile.
Fox Farm Ocean Floor is great soil. It is my go to soil after many experiments.
This is a Butch T in late Nov/Dec with Fox Farm OF.
2ndhalf1035_zps0019c7a0.jpg

Botanicare pure blend pro is a great fertilizer and I use it for both soil and hydroponics so don't think it is bad. I am surprised that you got fert burn at such a low dosage as minimum dosage is actually 15ml (1 tablespoon) per gallon for first week of soil fertilizing. I think that by stretching watering cycles so far apart, the plant may have absorbed too much ferts when it was finally watered. As some of the guys said, water first without ferts and then add the nutrient solution a couple hours later in a smaller dose. Also since the plants seem so sensitive, drop down to 5ml (1 teaspoon) per gallon the next time you fertilize. Water a little more often, maybe weekly without ferts for 3 weeks and then water with fertilizer every other week. That is how I do it and if anyone thinks it is wrong please speak up. We are all learning here!

@pepperproblem great plant! Looks good. I hope mine get to that size!!!

@island Dan. Ill try watering a bit first before adding the fert next time. Ill use a lower dosage for the next feeding. You water yours every week?

It looked like they didn't need to be watered that's why I didn't water them. I have heard your not supposed to water them until they start to wilt. Should I be watering weekly? Thoughts anyone? I'm really trying to do this right the first season growing. Thanks guys!!!

I'm I'm Northern California. Zone 9a. It gets a high of about 85 now. Hopefully higher in the summer

I'm not sure this is fert burn.

I burned my Bhut & Scorpions, but that's the new leaves which are affected, not the old one.

That's a good point. Does anyone know if fert burn will cause new leaves to turn yellow? Thoughts anyone? I took a look at them today and I swear they look more yellow. Might just be in my head but I'm not sure

Back