• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

What am I going to do with all these plants?

So i bought a small variety of pepper seeds.And went got a 72 piece tray Jiffy Pellets at walmart and decided to plant all the pellets to better my odds. Well, pretty much all of them sprouted.I'm going to be giving some away to people at work. But I'm still going to have alot left. Just thought I'd throw this out there and see if I could get some ideas on what to do with the peppers. I want to make a garlic hot sauce for sure. I also seen people smoke the peppers and add it to salt. This looks interesting. I'd like to know how to do all that.

At the very least, you have lots of room for error if you end up burning a batch while smoking, or being overly-creative and making a terrible sauce. If you have lots of extra, might as well try a wide variety of things and see how it turns out! Hopefully you will have enough room to grow them all.

Share with friends as much as you can, let the others grow until first transplant and keep only the most healthy looking.
That's how good selection works, big numbers ;)

Good luck!

Datil

What varieties did you get? if they are more on the ornamental side the less you can do with them especially if they are bitter tasting, but Janapenos, Aji's, Manzanos, African Piri Piri's, 7 pods and Trinidads all have a very wide range of uses.
At any rate you will have a lot of fun, I planned for just 5 plants of 5 varieties, but I ended up close to 80 hot peppers and that is just a tip of the iceberg.

Dont feel bad. I bought the 16 puck Jiffy container. They all came up. Figured I was good with that. But alas, all was not good with that so I put a bunch of seed in containers and covered with seran wrap to help germinate, they all came up. Then to really top it off I took about 14 seeds and germinated them in a wet paper towel, they all germinated and were potted up. Thinking I was done, yeah not yet, realized I did not start any Thai Fire seeds. I get my seeds out and the cherry on top was that I realized there were even more varieties that I wanted to grow, so along with the Thai Fire I potted up another 2 plants of 4 diff varities.

All in all my 16 plants turned into close to 50 in a matter of a few days

Speaking of sauces, I think I'll make a jalapeno sauce this weekend.... I have five empty 5 oz. bottles left. Use those up before the 1.7 oz'ers come in

Speaking of sauces, I think I'll make a jalapeno sauce this weekend.... I have five empty 5 oz. bottles left. Use those up before the 1.7 oz'ers come in
I will probably be doing the same thing, just got a shipment of woozy's in and need to get some samples to my kids. After that I think there is a guy that knows a guy that is friends with my cousins ex gf twice removed that wants some hot sauce LOL

140 solo cups in my spare bedroom as we speak

there will be 20-25 tomatoes joining them shortly......with eggplant and cabbage still to start

and there's still snow on the ground ;)

after finally ordering some joyner's......smoked powder is on my production list

I usually have 5-10 pepper plants growing every year. I joined this site before this season started and now have well over 50+ plants that I have no idea what the heck I am going to do with once I have to put them outside in a small yard in a surburb.

Back