• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

fermenting What are THP members using the most for mash starters

Sizzle Lips

Extreme Member
I have always used whey from plain Greek yogurt as my starter.....I really would like to know what most of the members here at THP are using.
Collecting whey can be a pain sometimes...but it does work okay.
What I would really like to know is if anyone here use's Caldwells Vegetable Starter Cultures.

JohnsMyName said:
RM, why do use Greek yogurt? I use regular yogurt and get quite a bit of whey. The Greek stuff is the same thing just already robbed of that precious whey. 
I get plenty of whey out of what I use. I really don't remember why I switched to Greek it's just what I've been using. I do stick to organic yogurt and it seems like I can always find the organic Greek but it's hit and miss with the other.

I hear you. I have found some great organic plain yogurt at my local grocery (the larger one). They have an organic section. I think it's Stoneyfield?

I've had great results with it, but I'd like to try probiotic capsules in an effort to not impart any additional flavors, although I must say the whey is nominal at best.

Well i started two different ferments....one using whey from yogurt...my traditional method and one with the starter i bought from cutting edge cultures.
The two yellow ferments have the whey and started off slowly.....the red ferment with the culture i bought took right off much quicker ...very active.
the yellow had lots of sugars...peach,pineapple,ginger,carrots and garlic....the red was just nothing but peppers.
I had separation in the red which I never had before in any of my other ferments.
In my mind I think the cultures I bought work much better...I could probably get away using a half of packet per ferment.

IMG_2083.jpg

IMG_2088.jpg

Back