• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

What base to use for sauce?

I'm trying to make some homemade sauces, and looking for a good base.
Some sauces I've seen are using carrots, but I was thinking more of eggplants or artichokes.
Am I making any sense? I'm also not really sure how to prepare the base.
Should I bake the vegetables? fry them? grill them, or what?
I'm looking for a tasty creamy texture. :)

Omri said:
I'm trying to make some homemade sauces, and looking for a good base.
Some sauces I've seen are using carrots, but I was thinking more of eggplants or artichokes.
Am I making any sense? I'm also not really sure how to prepare the base.
Should I bake the vegetables? fry them? grill them, or what?
I'm looking for a tasty creamy texture. :)

Eggplant does not sound appatizing, but artichoke does. That's really interesting. I'm trying to think of what would be a good pepper to pair that with and all I've come up with is piquin.

Intensity Academy said:
Eggplant sounds really good. I'm experimenting with Beet Hot Sauces...sounds strange, I know!!!

The New Strange Recipe, is always good. Searching for that new flavor. I've worked with beets before in my hot sauces, n the main
thing that i was looking to try n achive was , I wanted a Christmas
red color to the hot sauce without using food dye. I like to keep it natural. Turned out for me that the color was fantastic, but flavor wasn't. I only made the one try, n quit.

imaguitargod said:
Eggplant does not sound appatizing, but artichoke does. That's really interesting. I'm trying to think of what would be a good pepper to pair that with and all I've come up with is piquin.

Serrano, man!!! Nice red, ripe serrano peppers would be awesome.

rainbowberry said:
I think aubergines, courgettes and marrows are fruit too but I think of them as veg. seeds = fruit

Ok, not to belabor the British/American thing, just to make sure I have this right Aubergines = eggplants
Courgettes = zucchinis
marrows = squash

Correct?

Are all squash marrows?

rainbowberry said:
I think aubergines, courgettes and marrows are fruit too but I think of them as veg. seeds = fruit
They're the fruit of the plant, so ya.

Now back on subject, the sauce is doing well. the current version is somewhat mild, and more like puree. needless to say, still working on it.

Looking it up you would call a marrow squash, I think there are a few types of Squash. I know in England you can get Butternut Squash (I think the Australians call it Butternut Pumpkin?) Squash could be used to describe all type of veg/fruit like Pumpkins, Gourds, etc..

chilehunter said:
potawie - hiding veggies ? chiles are veggies so are tomatoes,carrots,onions,garlic, & many more that are used in hot sauces. so really theres no hiding veggies in a hot suace ;)

BUT! I'll admit using beans is the 1st time I've heard of them being used for a hot sauce.strange.

i use pickled kidney beans and chick peas in sauces and its always really good...:)

setzuanfire said:
AJVAR-they make it from Turkey to Armenia. Roasted red peppers and roasted eggplant, a little salt. Very mild dipping sauce, uses hot paprika-type peppers. We get 5 kinds in St Louis.
b

That stuff is good. I had it for the first time recently.

Chiles are fruits. Fruits are the ripened ovaries of a flowering plant. People assume that peppers are vegetables because they are not sweet in the same degree that most other fruits are sweet. In contrast, vegetables are the edible parts of a plant, like broccoli or cauliflower or artichokes. An avocado is another (somewhat unlikely) fruit.

Whoops, I was replying to Rainbowberry's comment but I didn't realize that there was a whole other page of comments afterward. My shirt says "Tool" in my avatar, and occasionally I live up to the title. ;)

menguyen89 said:
you guys think mayonaise would work? then add the desired amount of hot chiles and spicies?

Whats fun there is to make your own mayo from scratch in the blender (I know Julia Child is spinning in her grave over not blending by hand the French way..) and when it's done add in some habs and what not, blend some more.

I particulaarly like added orange habs or fatalis, and some good curry paste. Wasabi is fun too. Datils and dill?

Mayo is great beacuse ya can add about anything to it..ok, not vinegar..:)

Sid03SVT said:
omri any more updates on the sauce? im quite interested in it, mainly because i dont like eggplant
Many different versions, many not exactly liquid enough to be called "sauce", but VERY NICE. still working on it, though. very spicy middle-eastern kinda thing.

This is what I do. Get some Mediterranean tomatoes, ones which are super plump and hard and full of juice, cut them open and scrape out the insides in to a bowl (you'll need quite a lot of the juice) and then over a saucepan, put the tomato juice in to a sieve and use a potato masher and squash it all through until your just left with the juice in the pan, the rest should be in the sieve.

Now, on a low heat keep stirring the tomato juice and it will gradually thicken up on it's own without any need to add anything else to it, the end result will be thick juice just like tomato sauce.

Now, to bring out the actual flavour of the chilli add some rock salt (crushed), vinegar, and maybe a drop of English mustard, if you find your mix becomes to thick add some water or if it's not thick enough add some corn starch to thicken.

Back