• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

recipe-help What can I do with Kristian Peppers?

I received some free seeds in an order this past off season, Kristian Peppers. They are some sort of Thai pepper, yellow in color and similar in appearance to a cayenne.

The plant is doing really well but I don’t know how to use these.

Any recommendations are greatly appreciated!

Jonny C.

Depends on your tolerance for their level of heat. I've never grown them, but if they're a Thai type, use fresh and add them to a stir-fry, slice them up and add to salads, top pizzas, jazz up your cheese steak, sprinkle on a Coney Island hot dog, etc. You could make a hot sauce or a vinegar with them. If they're too spicy for you straight up, you could dry them and make flakes or powder. Just play around with them and see how you like them best. Good luck.

Thank you! Funny story about the heat level.. I could have sworn when I received these i read they were super mild, little to no heat. So like all my peppers I grow - I picked one, washed it sliced it up and took a larger then normal test bite. They’re hot lol. I think it felt hotter because I was going into it with bell pepper in mind but at that it was not over the top. Think I like the idea of making flakes or even a dry rub with.
Depends on your tolerance for their level of heat. I've never grown them, but if they're a Thai type, use fresh and add them to a stir-fry, slice them up and add to salads, top pizzas, jazz up your cheese steak, sprinkle on a Coney Island hot dog, etc. You could make a hot sauce or a vinegar with them. If they're too spicy for you straight up, you could dry them and make flakes or powder. Just play around with them and see how you like them best. Good luck.

You can sauté them in olive oil with garlic for a simple side dish, stuff them with a mixture of meats or grains and bake, or slice and add them to salads, sandwiches, and pizzas for a mild, sweet crunch. Their thin walls and sweet flavour also make them ideal for roasting.

Back