• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

What can I wash my hands with?

Been cataloging seeds without gloves (I know).. Anything I can wash my hands with? I have washed my hands 3 times today with hot water and dawn soap. But my hands are still weighing in at what feels like 300k+ scovilles lol.

ice cold gin provides some relief - for one, it's cool and slippery. For another it's alcohol, which will absorb some of the capcaisin oil. 

Soapy milk is also effective. 

Lava soap is probably the best option though - it's a bit rough, but it's a degreaser and that's pretty much what you need.

And for the love of god, don't scratch your nuts.
:cheers: 

Lucky Dog Hot Sauce said:
ice cold gin provides some relief - for one, it's cool and slippery. For another it's alcohol, which will absorb some of the capcaisin oil. 

Soapy milk is also effective. 

Lava soap is probably the best option though - it's a bit rough, but it's a degreaser and that's pretty much what you need.

And for the love of god, don't scratch your nuts.
:cheers:
Thanks! I guess I will try and find some lava soap.

And too late about the nuts... :fireball:

P.S.

It's not all bad, I kind of feel like a superhero.. Go around and touch people I don't like muahaha.

I do several things. First I rinse with rubbing alcohol. Then I lather my hands with cooking oil and then follow that with soap. Then I wait for the rest to dissipate.  

If it's really bad, I'l put on gloves and fill them with cold milk, which gives some relief if it's burning real bad.

Don't forget about the eyes, your nose and your ears and your armpits.

What works for me (somewhat) is rubbing liquid dish soap into your hands without water for a few minutes, then wash off with water. Repeat as necessary. Using water and dish soap together does not seem to be as effective. Automotive hand soap without water also works. Although this helps, when a lot of cap oils get on your hands it is difficult to completely remove. Sure makes some parts of life interesting... :shocked:

I like the ice cold gin answer, add some tonic water and a few pickled peppers and drink until you pass out. I found nothing really works fully and have gone all night and most of the next day before it stopped burning. The dumass part for me is it's happened more than once. :rolleyes:

Hawaiianero said:
I like the ice cold gin answer, add some tonic water and a few pickled peppers and drink until you pass out. I found nothing really works fully and have gone all night and most of the next day before it stopped burning. The dumass part for me is it's happened more than once. :rolleyes:

I share your dumnbassness, as I have also done this more than once. 

The worst was when I had to de-stem 50 lbs of Morugas. I wore gloves, respirator, hairnet, etc - forgot to wear a long sleeve shirt. My forearms felt like they'd spent 3 days on the surface of the sun for about 48 hours. It was not a pleasant feeling. 

Hey just found this post from VirgilCane:

Heating Up
  • Members
  • hotsauce.gif
    hotsauce.gif
  • 103 posts
Posted 30 September 2014 - 02:30 PM
I know this is an older thread but I HAD to share this. After making some hot sauce out of scorpions and primos, I got some on my hands today. It was pretty awful. Anyway, after trying all sorts of stuff, I ended up finding a comment on a very old thread elsewhere from someone who recommended taking old coffee grounds and rubbing/washing your hands with them. Well, I had some sitting in my coffee pot from this morning and I had nothing to lose, so I grabbed a big old handful and rigorously rubbed them in my hands in three different sittings. Wow. It worked! It worked so well! Within 45 minutes, my hands no longer burn. Nothing else provided lasting relief, but this certainly did. Coffee grounds! Don't forget!

Lucky Dog Hot Sauce said:

I share your dumnbassness, as I have also done this more than once. 

The worst was when I had to de-stem 50 lbs of Morugas. I wore gloves, respirator, hairnet, etc - forgot to wear a long sleeve shirt. My forearms felt like they'd spent 3 days on the surface of the sun for about 48 hours. It was not a pleasant feeling. 
I need either to wear long sleeve shirts  or longer gloves. It's my wrist that always seem to be getting burned.

Face scrubbing products work well in my experience (salicylic acid.)  Usually when that happens, I just continue to wash my hands with pretty much every type of soap I have I have until it is gone, but, as mentioned, it can be difficult to get all of it off.

juanitos said:

gloves are really the only thing that works for me
Double or tripple gloves. And I find that nitrile gloves are much better than latex gloves at sealing out the capsaicin.

There's a liquid hand soap by Bath & Body Works that I use. I usually wash 6 times, alternating with Dawn and the B&BW stuff and that usually knocks it. But yeah, no water at first. And like said above, other things that truly cut through oil/grease work as well. The oil from a citrus fruit works pretty well, too - peel and orange and rub the oil that comes off on your hands all over then wash with a good soap. 

Has anyone made the mistake of putting in contacts after handling something hot?  Is there any quick way to save them?  A couple days ago the dummy that lives with me sprinkled powder on breakfast, and then 30 min later tried to put contacts in.   He couldn't wear the contacts that day at all and let them soak in contact solution. The next day it was still spicy... I told him to toss them and start a new pair... after 2 days and a lot of red eye and tears the lens is back to normal... I don't wear contacts so I have no idea what that's like, just wondering if there is something better to do because I can see this happening again... and again...

and again.  

Tricky question as the only thing you supposed to use on contacts is saline solution. Alcohol or oil based solutions might ruin the contacts. Try to talk this person into getting disposable contacts.

Back