• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

What can it be??

My plants are growing bent. Not sure if they are tyring to get to the light ,or away.

Photo04051159.jpg

This is the light I have over them. It is 5 3' regular floro bulbs. I have it about 6" away from the plants with a fan blowing across them.

Photo01211425.jpg

It may be the fan that caused this - especially if they grew for awhile without the fan. I've seen some of mine get knocked over by the force of the wind, then as they adjust, they grow up towards the light, but they have a curved stem as a result. The plants should be fine, especially if you keep the fan on them. The stems will strengthen and support the weight of the plant.

Either light or fan...you can avoid this by moving the fan around and shuffling your plants around every now and then.

My plants are growing bent.
Photo01211425.jpg
ridavid,

Your plants are possessed, there is little hope, best to seek the advice of a priest.

Seriously, some of mine have a sort of bansai look to them as well, they are near a window and I rotate them semi-regularly and they respond accordingly by twisting back the other way. I don't think it is a big deal, just make sure the roots are bedded well enough if you run a fan on them that it will not unseat them. I find I have to water the ones with a light fan on them about twice as much as plants without a fan, not sure if the stalks are really stronger because of that or not. I will check them again when they go outside in mid May, and report back if the ones with the fan are thicker or grow taller, etc...

Ghosty...

So their bet turn em the opposite way, eventually new shoots will pop up at the 90s.
ridavid,

Your plants are possessed, there is little hope, best to seek the advice of a priest. : )

Seriously, some of mine have a sort of bansai look to them as well, they are near a window and I rotate them
semi-regularly and they respond accordingly by twisting back the other way. etc...

Ghosty...
Agree with both, I rotate my plants 180˚ every couple of days to keep things balanced out, but I don't have many plants.

Is that a reflection or are those bulbs dirty...?
That bending can be caused by a number of things. I can see that you're getting alot of spacing between leaf sets. That's not common with the c.chinense unless your plant is over crowded by other plants and is fighting for light.
Light is the key...those look like T8's, but the spacing appears to be far apart. If so your not providing enough light. Two inches away would be fine. If you're using a warmer color temp bulb (2100k-4500k) that will cause stretching in the branch structure. I use T8's with 6500k bulbs. My lamp spacing on my 4 bulb fixtures is 1". I have 4 bulbs within the width of the 9" wide fixture. With fixtures placed side by side....That's plenty of light and the tops of my plants are only an inch from the bulbs.
One suggestion is that you can replant it slightly deeper in a plant pot and stake it up with a thin stick of bamboo. Then move it closer to the light.
Good luck. the plant looks healthy but appears to be screaming for more light

Greg

Back