• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

What could i do better?

This be my first year growing things. I took a shot at Jalepenos 3 years ago but after planting 15 seedlings and ending up with 2 1/2 and 10 peppers to show for it i considered that a flop and don't really count that. This time i figured I would try this pepper called the Bhut Jolokia...anyone heard of it???;)
Me being the technical freak i am decided to go ahead and try hydro, growlights, leds, and all that Jazz. I figure if the Air Force thinks i'm smart enough to keep an F-16 in the air then i should be able to figure out this plant growing thing..................different world. I think i'm off to a good start but i'm looking for input from the vets. What could i do better and why?

Here's my bhut in the bucket right after transplant. I just did a dirt rinse. 18 Apr 09
IMG_7028.jpg

10 Apr 09 Still in dirt
DSC_0020.jpg

25 Apr 09
DSC_0352.jpg

Lighting i'm using is a 400w MH and a 70w HPS on an aluminum foil covered dish network satellite. Planning on making it look better but it's working for now.

Bulbs on dish
DSC_0003.jpg

Ballast in an ammo can
IMG_7030.jpg

IMG_7029.jpg

I'm using a walmart air pump the 2800cc per min one. with 2 4" air stones. I'm using Dyna-Gro Grow formula...however, i'm already getting buds. I have about a good 20 buds forming. and the aphids...bless their hearts...have tried but not succeeded. Now the ants are cleaing up the carcasses.

My questions....

How am i doing so far?

What could i do for the roots? I want more and i want them white.

Should i be flowering this soon?

Does flowering take away from the growth of the plant?

I'm sure I'll think of more questions later...but until then thanks for the input.

Nothing helpful here as I haven't a clue about grow lights or hydroponics, but I did notice that you have the same wall paneling that I have. I can't believe how many times I've seen that in movies or just in general pictures. LOL! Some popular shit that's for sure.

Rock0nman said:
Now the ants are cleaing up the carcasses.

The ants are there putting on more aphids!! They farm them for their "milk". Nuke the ants as well :hell:

The plant pictures look great;)

My questions....

How am i doing so far? -Very well

What could i do for the roots? I want more and i want them white. -Not sure

Should i be flowering this soon? Yes but you can pinch off the buds

Does flowering take away from the growth of the plant? -As far as i know yes, to a small degree.

"What could i do for the roots? I want more and i want them white. -"

This is what I would do ....
1. Use IBA or IAA which is root PGR (plant growth regulators or Hormones) ! Usually found in root cloneing gel and powders. A common one here in OZ is PLANT starter by Multicorp.CHEAP !.. Contains Both IAA and NAA. Which Both will induce better root growth.
This will stop top growth and stimulate the plant to produce a bushy appearance and root growth, as well as topping the plant. (pinch off new growth) will help ! Topping is a much more organic why of stimulating root growth.

2. introduce MORE OXEGYEN ! You can use air stones ( which you look like you have) & H2O2 (hydrogen peroxide[for plants])
This will encourage better root growth

3. Find the Optimum temp for you root zone and maintain that at ALL times ! As well as water resivour or water being feed.

CM

Cool thanks, I just recently put a bigger pump and 2 stones in there. And i've been using peroxide for about a week now. The roots have stoppe turning more shades of brown. And are looking a little better. What should i do about these buds? Just keep em?

I'd like to just let the plant do as it wishes....but if that were the case i shouldn't have stuck it in hydro. I went ahead and switched to dyna-gro bloom formula. Figure i might as well get some peppers outta this thing. I have 10 other in dirt right now and another 5 just sprouted. The hydro deal is just an experament.

Novacastrian said:
The ants are there putting on more aphids!! They farm them for their "milk". Nuke the ants as well :hell:

The plant pictures look great;)

My questions....

How am i doing so far? -Very well

What could i do for the roots? I want more and i want them white. -Not sure

Should i be flowering this soon? Yes but you can pinch off the buds

Does flowering take away from the growth of the plant? -As far as i know yes, to a small degree.

The ants have left now. They seem to have cleaned up the mess of aphid remains and pulled chocks. And no more aphids. The plant still seems to be growing fine with the buds and all. I'm finding it harder and harder to go back to soil.

Is it common for the plant to be drooped over in the evening after being under that 400w MH all day? In the morning when i go to turn it back on the plant is looks like it's trying to fly away it's reaching so high.

Rock0nman said:
Is it common for the plant to be drooped over in the evening after being under that 400w MH all day? In the morning when i go to turn it back on the plant is looks like it's trying to fly away it's reaching so high.

Quite normal for young plants. I've noticed that some varieties tend to do that. Dunno what causes it but it seems to disappear when plants get bigger/older

Yeah,

I have some thoughts about it.. Ok get your thinking caps on
I say undeveloped root system.. you say?

I get the same drooping with my plants, except they are only under standard 4' floro's. They never had a problem when there was only two banks of lights (4 lights in total), but the leaves started to curl up and some plants would droop at the end of the day after I put in a 3rd bank (6 lights in total). To help solve the 'problem', I moved the lights further away. The plants did fine until a few outgrew the others (Superchili's mainly). Now I have some plants that are taller than the rest and are close to the lights again. I don't really want to raise the lights so I cut the amount of time back on the plants by 15 min. increments until I noticed the plants stop drooping. They were getting 14 hours of light, but are now getting 13 1/4 hours per day. Everything seems fine.

I'm not sure drooping plants at the end of the day is really all that much of a problem though, but that may depend on how much droop you're talking about.

I've noticed bigger leaves drooping during the day when they are growing for decades! Dad always said it was a good sign.

Mike

Back