• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

What do you consider healthy or normal amount of booze to consume?

For me, if I have more then 3 in an evening I am obviously trying to get drunk and not just have a good time.

Of course, I still occasionally have 6 or 8 beer in an evening. That's down from once a month when I was younger to once or twice a year now.

But typically I have a glass of wine or two, or a beer or two. Mostly with dinner.

What about you?

I've cut right back cause my doctor told me after I got a blood test that my liver was leaching some bad stuff into my system cause I was drinking to much. I was having 4 to 5 beers a night then after dinner I'd hit the bourbon and coke and have 4 or 5 of them. Weekends were worse.

Normally I now only have 1 or 2 beers every few days and enjoy a few bourbons on the weekend.

At the moment i'm only having a few beers one day a week cause I'm having a bit of a total life style change. The doc told me I was heart attack material by the time I was 35 if I continued my ways so I'm changing!!! :)

I've lost 8kgs (16lbs) and most of that was from cutting back on the alcohol....

I only get to drink when I'm not on call, which is about one weekend every 3 months, but that has now come to an end and I'm permanently on call 24/7. But when I did it involved copious amounts of alcohol.

It depends if I have to work. I average around 4-8 beers a day, 10 if I'm really having fun. I generally try to start or have a pint before noon.

I too have cut back a lot. Partly because of having a bike, and partly because I joined the military. I would say 2 or 3 a day is fine.

I'll have say 4 beers then start on either bourbon, whiskey, vodka, whatever i have made recently. (not that i distill, thats illegal).

It is not uncommon for me to drink around a third of a bottle a night, and the stuff i drink is over 90 proof.

Edit: After reading the above post i realised that i have cut down a little bit since having a licence. The weekends before that involved cracking a beer around 9 in the morning.

I try to have 2 or 3 dry nights a week. And through the week, if I have a tipple, it's generally 3-5 stubbies (375mL bottle) of 5% alcohol. 1 stubbie is approx. 1.5 standard drinks=a 30mL nip of spirits.

On the w/end, generally have a bottle of whiskey binge with a mate. Not physically healthy, but does good for my mental state.

During the week a beer or two every couple evenings. During the weekend, there is no limit to starting time or numbers.

I used to average at least a 12 pack of brew or a fifth of gin or vodka a night(sometimes both) during the week and about 6 to 10 times that amount on the weekends. Thats one of the reasons i had to stop.

lostmind said:
For me, if I have more then 3 in an evening I am obviously trying to get drunk and not just have a good time.

Of course, I still occasionally have 6 or 8 beer in an evening. That's down from once a month when I was younger to once or twice a year now.

But typically I have a glass of wine or two, or a beer or two. Mostly with dinner.
What about you?

Yeah - that would seem like a normal amount to me.

At home, I drink about a case a month of beer...but I always have to have my Sunday Morning 7 Pot Bloody Marys...several...when I play gigs, I usually will have a shot or two of crown and a couple of beers...with the weather as hot as it is, I have started drinking nothing but water...

Back