• We welcome content that is not political, divisive, or offensive. If we feel your content leans this way or has the potential to, it may be removed at any time. A hot pepper forum is not the place for such content. Thank you for respecting the community!

What do you consider healthy or normal amount of booze to consume?

For me, if I have more then 3 in an evening I am obviously trying to get drunk and not just have a good time.

Of course, I still occasionally have 6 or 8 beer in an evening. That's down from once a month when I was younger to once or twice a year now.

But typically I have a glass of wine or two, or a beer or two. Mostly with dinner.

What about you?

I've cut right back cause my doctor told me after I got a blood test that my liver was leaching some bad stuff into my system cause I was drinking to much. I was having 4 to 5 beers a night then after dinner I'd hit the bourbon and coke and have 4 or 5 of them. Weekends were worse.

Normally I now only have 1 or 2 beers every few days and enjoy a few bourbons on the weekend.

At the moment i'm only having a few beers one day a week cause I'm having a bit of a total life style change. The doc told me I was heart attack material by the time I was 35 if I continued my ways so I'm changing!!! :)

I've lost 8kgs (16lbs) and most of that was from cutting back on the alcohol....

I only get to drink when I'm not on call, which is about one weekend every 3 months, but that has now come to an end and I'm permanently on call 24/7. But when I did it involved copious amounts of alcohol.

It depends if I have to work. I average around 4-8 beers a day, 10 if I'm really having fun. I generally try to start or have a pint before noon.

I too have cut back a lot. Partly because of having a bike, and partly because I joined the military. I would say 2 or 3 a day is fine.

I'll have say 4 beers then start on either bourbon, whiskey, vodka, whatever i have made recently. (not that i distill, thats illegal).

It is not uncommon for me to drink around a third of a bottle a night, and the stuff i drink is over 90 proof.

Edit: After reading the above post i realised that i have cut down a little bit since having a licence. The weekends before that involved cracking a beer around 9 in the morning.

I try to have 2 or 3 dry nights a week. And through the week, if I have a tipple, it's generally 3-5 stubbies (375mL bottle) of 5% alcohol. 1 stubbie is approx. 1.5 standard drinks=a 30mL nip of spirits.

On the w/end, generally have a bottle of whiskey binge with a mate. Not physically healthy, but does good for my mental state.

During the week a beer or two every couple evenings. During the weekend, there is no limit to starting time or numbers.

I used to average at least a 12 pack of brew or a fifth of gin or vodka a night(sometimes both) during the week and about 6 to 10 times that amount on the weekends. Thats one of the reasons i had to stop.

lostmind said:
For me, if I have more then 3 in an evening I am obviously trying to get drunk and not just have a good time.

Of course, I still occasionally have 6 or 8 beer in an evening. That's down from once a month when I was younger to once or twice a year now.

But typically I have a glass of wine or two, or a beer or two. Mostly with dinner.
What about you?

Yeah - that would seem like a normal amount to me.

At home, I drink about a case a month of beer...but I always have to have my Sunday Morning 7 Pot Bloody Marys...several...when I play gigs, I usually will have a shot or two of crown and a couple of beers...with the weather as hot as it is, I have started drinking nothing but water...

Back