• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

What do you guys think about this compost?

How would you mix it? Can it go straight or is its pH & salt content way off? I'd like to try it for my Reapers...

Terrasol.jpg

more like moderately alkaline. Just use the stuff and don't worry about. Others try to make growing peppers or anything so serious that it takes the pleasure out of it. Peppers have grown with much less attention for thousands of years without the 'benefits' of modern technology. Water them, feed them with whatever you like and don't worry. Breathe through your nose and remember that gardening is supposed to be a pleasure, not a science project.

chile_freak said:
It is very alkaline! If you mix it w/ some peat moss or some potting mix, it would make a much better soil!

8.5 ph is a little more than moderate, and I'm all for going as natural as possible, but if all it takes to mean the difference between ok pepper plants and great pepper plants is a little peat moss or similar, I will add the extra step EVERY TIME!
As for science projects, I use no meters, no guages, no testers and no chemicals! Once I've crafted my soil mix, I sit back water, add the occasional fish emulsion and seaweed extract, occasionally check for pests and let them do their thing!

fair enough.

chile_freak said:
8.5 ph is a little more than moderate, and I'm all for going as natural as possible, but if all it takes to mean the difference between ok pepper plants and great pepper plants is a little peat moss or similar, I will add the extra step EVERY TIME!
As for science projects, I use no meters, no guages, no testers and no chemicals! Once I've crafted my soil mix, I sit back water, add the occasional fish emulsion and seaweed extract, occasionally check for pests and let them do their thing!

Thanks for the responses! Yup, that was clear that the 8.5 is a bit interesting. It's good stuff; I used before but for making AACT - and it produces some wicked froth.

But I'm gonna definitely try it as a growing medium. A couple seedlings into 1/3-1/3-1/3s, another couple into half-halfs, and one into the full strength stuff as a control. Let's see...

Back