• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds What do you think is happening to this seedling

This seedling looks very doomed. 

A few others had like one good leaf and one leaf that was like burnt almost or dried up. 75% of the seedlings look fine so its strange. 

20140325_203724_zpsidhitykv.jpg

What type of soil are you using? How close is the light? Are you giving it any Nutes? Could be any of one the items i just mentioned or something else is going on...

Bad DNA? I don't know. When I see one like that I will cut the leaf off. If it survives good. If not, to the compost.

Ugh - don't cut the cotyledon off. Leaves are a different matter, though, but you won't be able to cut any leaves off until the sprout creates some!

So yes - what light source are you using, how close is it to the light, do you have a heater of some kind on them, if so at what temp, and are you fertilizing? Note that sprouts don't need fertilizer until their cotyledons fall off, which won't occur until after some true leaves form.

im using t5 h.o 12 inches from plants. temp is constant 70 degrees f. fan running 2x dailey for 1 hour. no nuts besides what little may be in seed starting medium. 

Is that a foil based pan you have the seedlings in?  I've seen foil create hot spots on plants and soil that easily burns leaves and stems.  If the only seedlings doing that are close to the edge and it is a foil pan, I would move them in or change the tray.  

This is why I plant double the amount of seeds as I want plants, then anything like this can be disposed of. Otherwise you're putting time, energy and money into something that may even turn out to be contagious. 

Did you have any "helmet head" issues? I've had that before where it damaged the seed leaves. Most will bounce back normally. I wouldn't cut off the cotyledon, it's where the seeding gets nutrients until it sprouts some true leaves. Looks like it is sprouting it's first set of true leaves so I think that it will be fine after a bit. I would just keep an eye on it and hope for the best. Not a bad idea to start some more seeds if you have them. You should hopefully know in the next couple days or so if it's a survivor or not.

Back