• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

What do you use to stop little critters

I'm having some problems with fruit fly's or some sort of bugs boring holes into my chilli's at them moment (even the savinas! :mouthonfire:)

I picked up some Pyrethrum powder and water soluble garlic stuff yesterday to try out but I'm curious to know what others use to prevent these little suckers :?:

Haven't found a way to prevent them. Atomic bombs seem to work to get rid of them but also wreak havoc to the grow chamber!

Mike

That's pretty damn cool Omri!

I should try and get some shipped over here :hell:

*Cringes at the shit storm that would create* :shocked:

I tried neem oil to little or no success. I tried pyrethrin spray next and that got rid of a vicious aphid infestation.

I have a friend's wife that swears that termite killer highly diluted works miracles without affecting the plant.

fineexampl said:
I tried pyrethrin spray next and that got rid of a vicious aphid infestation.

Yeah, after reading a few articles on the net this seems to be one of the only effective ways of getting rid of them.

I'll give it a few days with this BioGarlic stuff and if it doesn't do the job I'll just nuke em with the powder, its a shame though because I don't want to drive away all the friendly little ones

Gar said:
Yeah, after reading a few articles on the net this seems to be one of the only effective ways of getting rid of them.

I'll give it a few days with this BioGarlic stuff and if it doesn't do the job I'll just nuke em with the powder, its a shame though because I don't want to drive away all the friendly little ones
Pyrethrin's natural; made from chrysanthemums. I'm not so sure it kills the bad critters. We'll see in the spring when i try and move these overwinterers outside.

Imidacloprid. Not organic or natural in any way, but it works pretty damn well. Commonly sold here as Confidor.

I like to use natural predators but also use neem, insecticidal soap(or regular dishsoap), and pyrethrum.
For fruitflies you can try one of those hanging glass/plastic wasp traps with some beer or fruit-juice. It seemed to have worked for me in the fall when I had lots of the buggers.

If they're fruit flies you can make a trap with apple vinegar. I left a bunch of bananas on my kitchen table when i went on vacation last year and came back to massive infestation. The traps worked wonders.

Make a cone out of the sheet of paper (like a funnel). Tape the outside of the cone so that it stays in place.
Check that the cone fits snugly into a glass or cup.
Cut off the tip of the cone so that you now have a funnel.
Pour a small amount of cider vinegar into the glass or cup. (Rum mixed with orange juice also works very well - additionally, a half teaspoon of baker's yeast in water can also suffice)
Insert the funnel into the glass or cup, but don't let the bottom of the funnel touch the liquid. Tape the funnel in two or three places from the outside so that there is no gap between the glass and the cone.
Place your newly created trap on a flat surface. The flies will be attracted by the smell of the fruity vinegar and fly into the cone. The flies will slip down the cone and will either land in the vinegar and drown or will be trapped and not able to get back out. If you leave the trap overnight, the trapped fruit flies will eventually fall into the vinegar and drown.

i use a bug spray that seems to work well not sure of the name and i just burn the plants if they are very badly infested

Hmmmmn, I'll make a trap when I get home, maybe a coke bottle chopped in half with the top turned upside down and wedged into the bottom half, with a bit of cider vinegar.

Thanks guys, I'll keep you posted

imaguitargod said:
True. But ever try to get rid of them when their inside? Think not!

Well, yeah. It's just not that difficult, find out what is attracting them and eliminate it. Then put up some yellow sticky traps or one of the traps described above.

Shoot, I put rooted fruit outside sometimes in the summer to attract butterflies, and so the hummingbirds will have some fruit flies to eat.

why does rooted fruit attract them?

Back