• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

fermenting What does length of ferment do?

Wondering how long to let this ferment go for.

Want to slather it all over everything NOW. After a week. 
Ok maybe it's been less. Will let it go longer..

Does fermenting for a long time really make a significant difference in taste?
If so, how?

Speaking only from my experience there's not much difference between 3 weeks and 3 months.   I pull and process 99% of me ferments within this time frame.  I will say the difference between 3 month and 12 month is noticeable and remarkable.  Just as the difference in 1 year versus 2 or 3 year.  

A recipe you like at 3 weeks or 3 months will be similar to what you get at a year, but the year old will be an infinitely more complex and unique in character.  I'd liken the difference to bourbon or scotch; the older batches will be smoother and richer in flavor but will lack the 'punch' in a newer or shorter fermented batch.

SmokenFire said:
Speaking only from my experience there's not much difference between 3 weeks and 3 months.   I pull and process 99% of me ferments within this time frame.  I will say the difference between 3 month and 12 month is noticeable and remarkable.  Just as the difference in 1 year versus 2 or 3 year.  

A recipe you like at 3 weeks or 3 months will be similar to what you get at a year, but the year old will be an infinitely more complex and unique in character.  I'd liken the difference to bourbon or scotch; the older batches will be smoother and richer in flavor but will lack the 'punch' in a newer or shorter fermented batch.
Wow that is new to me brother so am I wasting time letting them run for 90 days? Is the sauce just as good with the shorter fermenting time? Now I'm confused!! Hahaha
jack_black_in_nacho_libre.jpg
so your saying I'm wasting my time with ferments that are shorter than a year.

oldsalty said:
Wow that is new to me brother so am I wasting time letting them run for 90 days? Is the sauce just as good with the shorter fermenting time? Now I'm confused!! Hahaha so your saying I'm wasting my time with ferments that are shorter than a year.

No sir!  Not knowing your recipes it's entirely likely they benefit from the additional time at 90 days.  I'm just talking about the recipes that I use.  :)

Back