• This is the place to discuss all spicy commerical products, not just sauce!

hot-sauce what got you into hotsauce????

I was 5 years old and saw a cartoon mexican mouse named speedy somthing eating cheese with hotsauce on it .
well... I like cheese and dad has hotsauce so lets mixem up and try it.
I put on a dot and it was kinda weird but good and as a kid I liked a product called bloody caesar mix and also jalapenos and bannana peppers .
so I would eat a plate of common hot stuff and really liked it.
parents owned a hi class resteraunt and a chef there taught me cooking and spices.
so hot sauce and peppers were always there and here I am.
go forward 20 years and a vegas stand sold me daves ultimate insanity and I found a would of heat that I am testing and trying every day.

hah i actually can recall the first time i ever had red pepper flakes. it was at a pizza place with some relatives. since then, i began putting them on everything to the point that at a mongolian bbq place, i had covered my food in red pepper oil and flakes and some old guy told my parents to give them a heads up. they just told him that's how i liked it. eventually red pepper flakes weren't enough and i started using jalapenos then sauces... then sauces and powders or flakes combined..then finally hotter sauces.

Living in Oz and being so close to asia we always had spicy asian food at home growing up. What got me into super hot type hot sauce was gardening. I got a passion for growing chillis and tomatoes I ended up with all these chinensis pods that I didn't know what to do with (the flavour of habs just don't work for me in asian cuisine occasionally indian but not so much) the general consensus in Oz as far as Habanero is they are a bit too hot.lol So I got into carribean cusine particuliarly trinadad food (the melting pot of culture) also taking ideas from asian cuisine especially thai ( the idea of balance in thai cooking is prevelent ie sweet sour and salty in cohesian) any how thats how I got into making hot sauce then I started buying hot sauce from overseas (a bit ofmarket research) and now I almost need something spicy with every meal lol

I was with some friends at a little hole in the wall eatery in Reserve, New Mexico. We were all about 20, and working for a forestry crew clearing brush. Well, lunch break came and our foreman brought us all down to the town. Now I had eaten hot sauce before or so I thought I had... I don't even know what that stuff was, but after I stopped crying, I was hooked.

:mouthonfire:

Since I was a little child, my family liked hot food, so it was always available.
Don't mind the fact that their definition of "hot" is now different than mine. :D

My start to loving fiery foods was in the service. There was always salt, pepper, ketchup and Tabasco on hand. The food needed some flavor.
My parents, neitherone, liked spicy food so I only learned to like it while in the service. Now 30 years later I've been busy eating loads of spicy foods.

Mick
Kato's

I haven't been into 'hot' for that long. Have some buddies at work that grow their own peppers and sometimes they bring loads in for people. I usually get a big bag full to make salsa & chili (w/beans!).

Kind of took off from there... run out of peppers, find the next best thing when the peppers are not available.

I'm along the same lines as Kato. I've had red pepper flakes on my spaghetti and pizza as a kid, but once I was in the USMC, I needed something to give the food some flavor. Since Tabasco and Louisiana Hot Sauce was all I knew about, that's what I had...and lots of it.

Cut to Dallas, Texas circa 1990. Tex-Mex food. I learned all about jalapeƱo peppers and couldn't get enough.

Cut to Albuquerque, New Mexico 2004. This is the place for hot anything. Just about anywhere you go out to eat you can get red or green chili on your food. I visited a few local "hot shops" to see what they had to offer and got my first taste of gourmet hot sauces. The owner of one store told me about the Fiery Foods Show and that was all she wrote. I became a junkie. So, in order to keep my addiction going and my costs down, I started growing my own peppers and creating my own sauces. After a lot of trial and error, I have found three really solid recipes that I have been giving out to friends and family. My "Nuclear Scurvy" became the favorite hot sauce of Got-Z.com (a Datsun/Nissan Z car site) when they had a meet in Ohio.

Present day:
Because of my addiction, I have met a ton of people just like me...I'm not alone in this world! People like DEFCON, Danny Cash, the girls at Three Hot Tamales, etc., have been a inspiration for me to get my own business going and share my love for all things peppery, hot and flavorful. Hopefully, 2008 will see my dream of having my business up and running.

I started like most people, with cayanne sauces like "Franks" and Crystal, simply because that's what was available and in High School I was pretty much at the mercy of what the parents bought. My senior year in college (2000), I found my first two non-cayanne sauces, Jamacia Hell Fire which I still like, and Daves Insanity. I remember the first time I had Dave's still...I took a dab and it lit me up. I went immediately for the bread. Unfortunately it wasn't until 2004 when I started finding my way around Blacksburg that I started finding all kinds of hot sauces, and thanks to the internet I was able to find this great board and internet-order sites.

It all started two years ago, at an Applebees. My grandparents ordered the appetizer platter, and it came with Buffalo wings (boneless, anyways). So, being the kind of person that'll eat anything chicken, I tried one...and it was delicious! I was hooked from then on, and eventually thanks to a friend I got hold of my first extract, After Death...

And the rest is history...which is entirely documented on this forum, too =P

~Trexxen

my taste for really HOT food came out of revenge :hell:

I liked hot foods but I was one of those tabasco people years ago, you know those people. well around 20 yrs old I was living with my sister & her husband w/ 2 daughters plus 2 other roommates in a house.

you know how that goes, save a nice steak & scalloped potatoes or ? for next day when you get home from work. yea right that didnt work in that house someone would eat it, the kids were the worst for this.

(one of them speaking) " it looked so good & I was lazy to make something, I'm sorry I'll pick up another steak for ya tommorrow & heres a box of potatoes " :rolleyes:
(me speaking) " yea no shit it looked good & bet it tasted better! "
(them) "yea it did taste good!"
that got old quick!

so I started making foods really hot so they wouldnt eat my food :lol: & sometimes even to hot for me but I started to really like HOT foods.& it just grew from there where I'm now a fulltime chilehead :lol:

shayneyasinski said:
I was 5 years old and saw a cartoon mexican mouse named speedy somthing eating cheese with hotsauce on it .
well... I like cheese and dad has hotsauce so lets mixem up and try it.
I put on a dot and it was kinda weird but good and as a kid I liked a product called bloody caesar mix and also jalapenos and bannana peppers .
so I would eat a plate of common hot stuff and really liked it.
parents owned a hi class resteraunt and a chef there taught me cooking and spices.
so hot sauce and peppers were always there and here I am.
go forward 20 years and a vegas stand sold me daves ultimate insanity and I found a would of heat that I am testing and trying every day.

Buffalo wings, and my Louisiana heritage.

My parents never ate spicy food, but one day when I was about 7 I found a bottle of chilli sauce in the back of the cupboard and smeared it on crackers. I loved it from that day.

I never was around spicy foods as a kid but when in the service and overseas, the need to make the rations edible called for something extra. A buddy (who was from louisiana) had some hot sauce. I don't remember what kind it was but he had is sent to him. I think it was homemade as it has a sweet smokey flavor. I started using that stuff and "wa-lla", have been hooked ever since.

My ex-girlfriend in NC dared me to try something hot at a hot sauce store in Raleigh in 94 or so.......so me,(being the big tough guy trying to prove some sort of stupid chauvinistic point to her) took an entire tablespoonful of 'Pain is Good batch #37', and then proceeded to cry like a baby while my face melted off for about an hour or so afterwards. But, after that, i always stopped by that store for a sample or two, and finally stepped up and bought a bottle of batch #37 about a month or two later. And the rest, as they say, is history.

Was given a taste of a home made hot sauce that someone had made, they were expecting me to "lite-up" (the usual response that they were looking for), except I thought it was the best stuff I had ever had. The guy sold me 5 bottles and I was hooked. Then decided that I needed to make my own, couldn't afford the habit otherwise. Thus: Alaska Hot.

John

As a Hungarian born and reared for a spell in Tejas, it was only 'natchel that I acquired a taste for paprika, hot sauce and chiles. I more or less grew up on goulash, bbq, and cold beans and rice. If it doesn't taste better with something hot on it...I don't want it. Cheers, TB.

best I can remember I always liked "HOT" as a kid my favorite candy was hot tamales and fire stix. I always liked jalapeno peppers. I recall back when I ws 14-15 a buddy's dad was in his garden picking peppers and asked if I liked hot peppers. Sure do I said. He offered me 5 bucks to eat one from his garden. It was small and yellow and I had never saw one before. I ate it and he gave me the money. Well I lived about 15 blocks west and 30 north from my buddy's house. By the time I got home I had spent the whole 5 bucks on pop to try to kill the heat. Growing up I always liked mexican food and the hotter the salsa the better I liked it. I would buy Da Bomb or dave's insanity to add to my store bought salsa so it would suit me. Lately i would make my own salsa and I grew jalapenos and habaneros for my own salsa. And then I attend Weekend of Fire! This opened a whole new chapter for me. The Defcon Death Match I took part in was freaking awesome and I attended Open Fields and obtained some jolokia, Fatalli, Trinidad Scorpion, and red Savina Hab peppers. Coming to this site and others I have learned way more about peppers and all things HOT than I could've imagined. So actually what got me into hot sauce would've been Jungle Jim's Weekend of Fire and John and Maggie from Defcon Sauces. I've eaten more hot stuff since August than I would've normally had in a year.

Back