• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

pH What happens to ph levels over time

Does the ph level change over time i.e. if I have a sauce that I haven't fermented yet but it's already at 3.5 will it ferment and go lower or stay the same?  Will something after fermenting down to 3.5 ever go to 4.0 or higher over time?

hot stuff said:
Does the ph level change over time i.e. if I have a sauce that I haven't fermented yet but it's already at 3.5 will it ferment and go lower or stay the same?
Rocketman or Salsalady will be your best bet on this.
I'll offer what I can..., you say "if I have a sauce that I haven't fermented yet but it's already at 3.5 will it ferment and go lower or stay the same?" the answer to this is it depends.
It can ferment if there are available sugars for the lacto to eat. If the benificial bacteria shows up then in theory it would reduce the ph further. I really cant remeber how low ph can go before it become inhospitable for the lacto??
Will something after fermenting down to 3.5 ever go to 4.0 or higher over time? To my knowledge no, unless tampered with.
My questions to you are what are you fermenting, why are you fermenting, what acids have you already added to the mix, and how do you plan to introduce the lacto

Lactobacillus will produce lactic acid if there are sugars there to ferment. Lactic acid has a lower pKa than Acetic acid, which means it dissociates to produce H+ (or H3O+) easier and can therefore push the pH lower than acetic acid, obviously depending on the relative concentrations. 

Dependence on pH for viability/growth depends on the species of Lactobacillus you use. 

L.acidophilus has a pH optimum of around pH 5, but is fine down to pH 3-3.5, but again it does depend on the specific strain you use. Many have been selected over the years, all with slightly different characteristics. 

L.delbrueckii var bulgaricus is also use a lot. The characteristics are very similar to L.acidophilus. You can buy this one from White labs. 

Lactobacillus rhamnosus is more acid tolerant than most and can live at pH 2, as long as there are sugars present. I use this one. It is trademarked under the name Lactobacillus GG and is found in Culturele Probiotic capsules.

Interesting. Thanks.  I used some whey from a non-pasteurised yogurt. That would acidophilus.  It may take a while for it to do fermenting then.

Still, the question remains, do sauces lose their acidity over time?

i've only done 4 ferments, but every time, the pH has been consistently ~ 3.5 after a period of ~30 days. i'm pretty sure I've read RocketMan has similar results from most of his ferments. 

i don't add any culture to my ferments, i just let what's there take care of business, so i don't know exactly what lacto/others are present.

i can't imagine any reason that pH would increase over time unless some agent was added to alter it. i would expect the pH of fermented or acidified hot sauce to maintain its pH for a fairly long period. if for some reason after pasteurizing your sauce and bottling it, conditions returned after opening a container to start fermenting again it could become even lower in pH, but I think if you let a ferment finish there probably won't be many sugars available to make a significant change.

Back