• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

What hybrids do you intend to try and create this season?

This is my first season as well and the thought of a hybrid intrugues me.  I only have 1 Jalapeno, 1 Habenero, and 1 Serrano, anyone know what a good combination would be?  I was thinking maybe Habenero and Serrano?

I have some (F1 Cayenne x goat's weed) x Chiltepin Sonoran Orange pods that seem to be setting.  Would like to get some very hot, tough for overwintering and attractive annuums from these.  The F1 Cayenne x goat's weed plants inherited the goat's weed heat and, unfortunately, lack of flavor. Hopefully some of the x tepins will taste better.  I also have an aji dulce x annuum which may have pollen fertility issues, so I'm trying to outcross it; the tepin may be working with these as well.  Will do more crosses, including with varied chinenses, later in the season if some new plants mature fast enough.

Also, Sreinhard88,
I think someone did Habanero x Serrano a few years ago, but only got one plant.  It was mentioned on THP and looked nice so maybe worth a try?

Pete Maws said:

I think someone did Habanero x Serrano a few years ago, but only got one plant.  It was mentioned on THP and looked nice so maybe worth a try?
Sounds good to me, now I just need to figure out how to go about creating a hybrid...to the growing forum! 

This is my first year at crosses but I will tell you I have quite a few varieties to work with and I overwinter at least one of everything for mothers.

I am going for F1 crosses of Bolivian Rainbow
My varieties I have are Jalapeno, Red Habanero,Purple Bell (called Pinot Noir) Big Bertha, Peter Pepper, 7pot Yellow, Bhut Jolokia, and one special variety (Im keeping it top secret as its a special long term project lol)

My goal is just F1s that are smaller varieties good for bonchi with the purple flowers and pod color of a B. Rainbow.
I have had a hard time finding photos of any hybrids of Bolivian Rainbow, the only one I found was Bolivian Bumpy 

I think the jalapeno and peter pepper  are choice candidates to cross to rainbow as not all folks like superhot chinensis varieties and they are both annuum (I got a name for my jalapeno cross- the raya-peno)

I am willing to pass on seeds of what Im growing (have all varieties named above as seed) if anyone has a FULL purple foilage variety to add to my gene pool. (Purple Flash, Fluorescent Purple, or Bellingrath)  or some other full purple foilage variety I dunno to ask for. LOL

poypoyking said:
I will be starting two breeding projects this year. I will be trying to breed variegation into a Bhut Jolokia line, and I will be trying to breed the transition gene into a Bhut Jolokia line (green to yellow to orange to red). It will be at least two years before I see any results as neither variegation nor transition genes will show themselves in the F1.
Why is that? are those recessive genes?

Terravexti said:
Pimenta De neyde seems to be a popular pepper to cross. Besides the cool color pattern, how is the taste?
Pretty good. Also pretty hot, too. Really pretty plants and flowers. I think it`s been used a lot to make hybrids, including an almost black Neyde x Bhut that looks like a black Bhut. 

I'm pretty sure there's a 50/50 chance most of my stuff will be hybrids next year.  I'm not even trying to prevent it.  Early pods on each plant might be spared due to when flowers open.  Sorry folks, but all my plants share their love all over my garden. 

Hopefully people will still trade with me this year. :)

SSoooooo......

Is creating a hybrid as easy as taking the pollen from one pepper plant and sticking it into the flower of another plant??????

I have what I am fairly certain is a Tabasco x Goat's Weed that just set it's first pod. So far it is pointy like a Goat's Weed. The leaves are bigger like the Tabasco and inherited a bit of hair and a more elongated shape from the Goat's Weed. I can't wait to see what color it ripens to and taste the pods. Tick Tock Tick....

I understand the desire for pure genetic lines, but I am also a big fan of OP crosses. You never know what you are going to get. So exciting!

so if i have potted plants both flowering i can just take it to the other one and shake em and rub em together causing the pollen to fall on each others plants a few times and they should change a bit?

7sWoBs6.jpg

itXm9Nd.jpg

So, this is a accidental hybrid that happened this year. I've come to the conclusion that is a bhut jolokia X bolivian tepin. If yu are a real chilihead you can see by just looking at it that is already stable. It has been tested in 7 independent laboratories by chemists like me and it has an average of 4.5 milion SHU. I'm gonna sell seeds at the end of the season, 15 bucks each. You can purchase the seed on the site of local pepper legend Bogdan the Butcher (website still under construction). As of now you can send money in an envelope and hope for the best. I still don't have a name for it, but since it's customary to give  new pepper crosses realy logical and classy names, I'm thinking of Croatian Purple Swag Armageddon. 

Jokes aside, I hope you like the pepper, I'm gonna OW this plant. Still wainting to see it rippen.

I hadn't really tried as I usually end up with a few crosses on there own, but I decided to find out if my assumption of chinense having a hard time crossing with a annuum, I was reading the other day that its the baccatum that the C. chinense has problems with crossing with and not the annuum. So I took the pollen from a Trinidad scorpion and crossed it with Gongo's laudium which is a C. annuum just to see if it would cross. Gongo's Laudium is a Cayenne type and has a SHU of around 50 to 75,000 SHU's so the cross will diminish how hot the Trinidad Scorpion is But a back cross should bring the heat level back up and may give me a interesting pepper pod with plenty of flavor .
I have some crosses that I got when I did a trade one was a chocolate bhut X yellow bhut F5, then I have a "Not SB7J" this one I will be watching,  right now the baby pods look a little like Jonahs, but we will see, I will have to look at a photo of a Jonah pod to see if what I have is anything like a Jonah. 
I do have a Mystery purple pepper X C. galapagoense its about F4 its still throwing out several pheno types, round multiple purple pods up to six flowers per node and small purple bushy plants, the other type that its throwing out has very little purple in the plants which are a little more vine like and the pods are more elongated with little purple in the pods, none how every show the wild traits that C. galapagoense has, but the pepper is still a nice looking and the pods are tasty.
if I have any luck with what I have now, I may try a Primo X Brain Strain.

goat weed X Tobasco is what this plant is cant wait to see what pods look like..not a superhot cross but gonna have a little bite to it

Back