• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

harvesting What I did with the 2009 Harvest

This is 1/3 of the job so far. More in the smoker, dehydrator, freezer, etc. I obviously grow for the fun of it because no one can eat this many pods yearly. I have no idea how AJ, PRF and others can process so much. I have fun trying though.

Maybe I need to start a pod selling business. lol.

Chris

P1080558.jpg

P1080559.jpg

P1080560.jpg

P1080561.jpg

More to come as they are out of the dehydrator in the next few days. I used hickory wood chips and experimented with apple, mulberry, and pecan smoking pellets too with others. The idea is dry at 115-125 deg low and slow to retain color / heat.

Chris

P1080566.jpg

I ended up selling about half of my chinenses cheaply or gave them away this year since I couldn't keep up with processing, but I wish I had grown more annuums like jalapenos and Anaheims since they always get used up way too quickly

Ciao Derek-

I agree with you. Duane had too many Chinenses as well. There was no way to predict that this year would be so hugely successful, but now that we know container-growing is the way to go, I'm going to suggest that he grow more of the mildly hot Annums and less of the scary super-hot ones. I make a lot of picante and enchilada sauces as well as various salsas and grilling marinades with those mild chilies. Fresno turned out to be a huge winner as well as Big Jim.

Those look awesome. I have frozen the majority of mine this year with the exception of Jalapenos which have all been smoked and ground for powder.

Nice plate fulls of beautiful pods. I usually freeze a bunch, dry a ton and give the rest away to the few people that I know enjoy them. I dry a lot more than I freeze because it takes a ton of pods to make a small amount of powder. Looks like you got a good thing going and all of those pictured look great. Just remember to store them in an air tight container and they should last you a along time.

I love the quality of those pods, they have a nice shape and colour to them and are not overdried.
I also like the sound of the Apple, Mulberry and Pecan smoked ones. How do you find the flavour? What comes out more or can you taste all of the flavours over that extreme heat?

Well done, looks like you will have lots to get you through winter!

Nice selection of peppers. You ain't kidding on the timeit takes to process... I bought a vac packer a bit ago originally for fish, but it has also worked out well to help store some of the frozen and dried goods. And nice pics as always!

Nice looking bunch of smoky goodness.

It's great that dried pods last a long time cause I'm with ya on the inability to use them all before the next season produces and I'm planting more next season. :rolleyes: I must be touched with a bad case of pepper madness. :lol:

From the looks of your pods, I need to find a new dehydrator. I was happy with my dried peppers until I saw your pictures. The colors are amazing.

Back