• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

What I have learned in 2011

i went from hydro (ebb n' flow with hydroton) to soil... some did better than others but some had severe leaf yellowing. next year i'm gonna do peat from start to finish and keep it low tech lol

I don't think I've learned anything really new in the last 3 months, but I'm re-learning all about aphid infestations and how ladybugs(and other natural predators) seem to be the only real solution

i went from hydro (ebb n' flow with hydroton) to soil... some did better than others but some had severe leaf yellowing. next year i'm gonna do peat from start to finish and keep it low tech lol

I went from hydro (aero/dwc) to soil...had inconsistent plants and also yellowing. This year I went to 100% coco coir and things have never looked so good. I like coco more than peat, but its just personal preference. I hope the switch works out for ya. :onfire:

I don't think I've learned anything really new in the last 3 months, but I'm re-learning all about aphid infestations and how ladybugs(and other natural predators) seem to be the only real solution

I HEAR THAT...I get ladybugs for the aphids and praying mantis for the grass hoppers!! 3 years ago I lost a whole outdoor hydro setup to aphids.

i learned why its important not to eat a bhut right after stomach surgery... because coughing feels like dying

I went from hydro (aero/dwc) to soil...had inconsistent plants and also yellowing. This year I went to 100% coco coir and things have never looked so good. I like coco more than peat, but its just personal preference. I hope the switch works out for ya. :onfire:

they seem to be recovering slowly... i actually mix one part promix with 1 part coco (I get the blocks which are a little coarser) and it worked great last year.. i'm not sure why i did the switch to hydro lol i figured i could let them in hydro a little while longer than i would in peat but i got anxious and went ahead and transplanted them :lol:

Last year I used 2 T8 6500K "day light" tubes. Not enough light. This year I use 6 T8 tubes. 2 "day light" , 2 "cool white" and two "kitchen and bath". Seedlings seem to like the white/blue light the best. I switched out the two kitchen and bath for two more 6500K today. I think in a couple of days I'll be able to confirm if the different color light is better.

Also, year one I left the plastic "dome" on the plants too long and they got "floppy". This may have been from the lack of light or something to do with the dampness associated with the plastic dome, but I'm not sure which one. Either way, this year the seedlings seem to be stronger. I hope they keep it up.

What have I learned? I'm still learning! I would have to say the best thing I've learned so far was soil choice. Just because the weird guy wearing a cowboy hat at the garden center says to use his store brand potting soil for germinating seeds doesnt mean that's what you're supposed to do. I can't wait to see him again and kick him in the @$$! I'm really not that violent of a person.

Back