• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

What is causing this? ?

That's what I figured, but a haven't seen the little booger. Sometimes it doesn't even make a hole all the way through, just penetrates a bit

Yeah it's probably just living in the pod. I've had many pods in the past succumb to these, it seems some strains are more susceptible... I once had 2 scotch bonnets & 2 orange habs - not a single orange Hab on either plant where feasted on, meanwhile pretty much all of the scotch bonnets where.

Go out very early in the morning, before it's fully light, and late in the evening with a flashlight, and you just might find the bugger(s). And yeah, in case they're inside a pod or two, pull the ones that have holes and bag them. 

geeme said:
Go out very early in the morning, before it's fully light, and late in the evening with a flashlight, and you just might find the bugger(s). And yeah, in case they're inside a pod or two, pull the ones that have holes and bag them. 

The bag is a good idea. Thanks geeme. I've been suffering from a similar, if not the same issue.

My best guess is earwigs. Or slugs/snails. Not sure what catapillar would eat them other than those horn worms that are huge. Gonna go out and have a look right now and see if I can find proof. I sprayed some pesticide on the lower stem and the ground around it, hate to do that but I'm getting annoyed. Hopefully it's low enough that the bees are safe. Also put out slug bait..

schrade82 said:
So I have noticed a lot of my hots and supers have holes in them or started on them. Any idea what's causing it and how to stop it?

http://imgur.com/BBSZTWt

I assume it's some kinda little insect, but no idea what one... thanks!

Just found a slug on the top of a pod... chewing a hole just exactly like yours.

I looked this morning and didn't see anything, may have missed it though. I'll have to keep my eyes peeled. Thanks for the tips!

that's pepper maggot damage...cut the pod open and you will see the inside is black where the maggot has been and you might get lucky and get the maggot too..

AlabamaJack said:
that's pepper maggot damage...cut the pod open and you will see the inside is black where the maggot has been and you might get lucky and get the maggot too..
What's the best way to get rid of them?

they are hard to get rid of once you have an infestation...they come out of the plant, molt into a fly, lay eggs on the soil, then the cycle starts again...if you do get an infestation, you need to treat the plant AND the soil around it...I don't know what is best to treat the soil with....seems any insecticide you use would work...

the flies lay an egg on the pod...don't know why but it is mostly always near the calyx..then the little bugger (pun intended) bores his way inside the pod and starts feeding

juanitos said:
i had a slug do this, maybe check the pest sticky

I agree as the skin is eaten rather than the interior. And no maggots were found.

Slugs will be on there way home as dawn breaks, night time is when I've found the most.

Damn I have a pic of the bugger from last night eating a hole just like the one posted above but for some reason it's not uploading right..

salt around the plant or where the plant touches the ground will remedy slugs...I love the way the just shrivel up...and sticky traps too...

Back