• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

What is happening to my habs ?

I am growing my first hot peppers a couple of ghost habaneros.
Because of my location I cant really grow them outdoors so I have them indoors with outdoor light supplemented with full spectrum 5600k floros, the same light I use for my orchids and other plants.
These peppers really took off but now at two and a half months old they are only 4 inches tall and very stocky but otherwise healthy looking. But they have started to flower... They seem to be a little small for flowering too me, not even big enough to hold one pod.
Is this normal for habs ? what could be causing this otherwise and what should I do ?
Should I be adjusting their nutrients or pinching these small flowers back ?
Thank you !

:welcome: to THP!

You could pinch, but as chillies are capable of growing and producing at the same time, I personally never worry about it and just let 'em do their thing. Tried pinching buds a few times yonks ago but they just kept growing back a few days later anyway!

I wouldn't worry about the pods being too big for the plant or anything... small plant/small pods. ;)

Thanks! that puts that worry to rest.
At this point ow should I treat the plant as far as nutrients and water go in order to increase the heat and number of pods without causing the plants to abort the pods ?

As far as I know I should be letting them dry out a little or even start to wilt before watering.
Im using RO water with a low nitrogen high potassium feed every other week/watering.
Magnesium and calcium supplement. The soil is a fast draining seed starter mix. Relatively small pots but they dont seem to have become anywhere near root bound. Im also told to stress the plants when pods appear to increase the heat.
And is there any trick to pollinating them or will they jut do their thing ?

This is about all I know about these plants, am I missing anything critical ? I feel like an expectant parent lol (breath)

:welcome: to THP!

You could pinch, but as chillies are capable of growing and producing at the same time, I personally never worry about it and just let 'em do their thing. Tried pinching buds a few times yonks ago but they just kept growing back a few days later anyway!

I wouldn't worry about the pods being too big for the plant or anything... small plant/small pods. ;)
+1

Back