• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

What is happening to my plants?

They were growing awesome in cups. This is how they look one month in the garden.

There were hardened but I'm not sure if I did it to quickly?

DSCN4637.jpg

DSCN4638.jpg

DSCN4641.jpg

DSCN4642.jpg

DSCN4643.jpg

DSCN4644.jpg

DSCN4645.jpg

DSCN4646.jpg

Thanks

Paul

Don't worry about the purpling, it's the plant equivalent of a suntan. Have you been feeding them? What is the watering schedule like. The reason I ask is there is some yellowing of the leaves. Yellowing can be indicative of lack of nitrogen (especially when it's the lower leaves and not the upper), but it can also be an indicator for overwatering. In such situations if there is a doubt, try to remedy the overwatering first. If it doesn't clear up then feed it a bit. Other than that (beyond a few chewed leaves) I think they look fine.

3rd one needs nitrogen, the purple in the leaves tells me that. How long since they have has some water? If they have had lots of water recently then wait to water, then the next time they need to be watered give em some nutes

I'm going to go ahead and be the voice of dissent on this one.
3rd one needs nitrogen, the purple in the leaves tells me that. How long since they have has some water? If they have had lots of water recently then wait to water, then the next time they need to be watered give em some nutes

The purple comes from the isoflavonoid anthrocyanin. Anthrocyanin is a plants natural protection from sunburn. Some plants produce more of it than others. In people, that compound is being studied as a cure for certain cancers.

That said, damping off can look like sun burn damage if you've never seen either before. The differences are subtle.

In pictures 1, 2, 4, 5, and 6 it looks like there are dry crispy edges around the leaves... This is usually due to over fertilization.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that you are doing like most everyone does at some point and over loving your plants. IE I think you may be over watering, and over fertilizing a touch. There is also some bug damage.

My recommendation is as was mentioned already, to adhere to the WWW rule when watering: Wait for it to Wilt to Water. Similar advice with the fertilizer. If you are not over watering, and your plant starts to turn yellow, you know it needs fert.

Pepper plants seem to handle the lack of water and nutrients better than they do their abundance.

Good luck!

Thanks for the reply. I only fertilized them one since they were planted outside.

Now as far as watering goes I'll hold off for few days - just I'm unsure how long should I let them sit without water and at what point they are wilted enough to be re-watered...

This is my first time every growing anything so I'm new at this....

you can quite a long time in the ground before watering. so i would wait and check them every day till you go outside and the leaves and the plant look saggy(wilt) then water really good and write that date down and wait to see how many days it takes before they wilt so you have an idea of how long they can go and well depending on weather you might need to water a few days early or later.

Its been pouring here - 6 inches in the first 13 days of the month, the plants closes to my sprinklers are yellowing (probably because they get the most water). Now as I type this its pouring down rain once again. *dislike*

Its hard to say exactly how long, because my trouble (here in FL) usually comes as a result of too much rain. In general though, if you look at them in the morning (not the heat of the day) and they have wilted - then water.

Here, around 3, everything starts to wilt regardless - but we had a high yesterday of 96 @ 68% humidity.

Thanks for the reply. I only fertilized them one since they were planted outside.

Now as far as watering goes I'll hold off for few days - just I'm unsure how long should I let them sit without water and at what point they are wilted enough to be re-watered...

This is my first time every growing anything so I'm new at this....

dude.. believe me.. it can go as far as them looking like they will die.. completly wilted leaves.. all of them... i have had mine at that stage more then once before..

i usually wait till a couple are wilting. then give them some water. worst case you can always poke your finger in the dirt a bit and see how dry it is in there. if any dirt is sticking to your finger you will know its still got some water there.. thats the other thing i do.
writing things down will also help you figure out how often to water is best for your plants.

Back