• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

What is my NOT Hawaiian Sweet Hot?

So I planted two Hawaiian Sweet Hot plants, but one turned out to be a NOT.

Here are pictures from a few weeks ago of both plants.

This is the real one. It looks just like the photos I've found online for it.

HawaiianSweetHot17-26-12.jpg

... and this is the NOT. See how the end of the pod is blunt, not pointed, and its shoulders are too broad.

HawaiianSweetHot27-26-12.jpg

Here are the ripe NOTS. The real Hawaiian Sweet Hot goes from green to red.

NOTHawaiianSweetHots8-28-12.jpg

Haven't tasted it yet, so I'll have to report back on the heat level.

So does anyone have any ideas what it might be?

I appreciate your help!

No, Joe. I can't find my receipts from this year's orders at the moment, but I believe the seeds either came from Peppermania or Trade Winds Fruit. Then again, it could have come from someone that participated in my Pick-A-Peck of Peppers swap. I'll try to do a little more research tomorrow, and let you know what I find out.

No, Joe. I can't find my receipts from this year's orders at the moment, but I believe the seeds either came from Peppermania or Trade Winds Fruit. Then again, it could have come from someone that participated in my Pick-A-Peck of Peppers swap. I'll try to do a little more research tomorrow, and let you know what I find out.
oh ok just asked because i grew it last season and quite a few people bought from me

thanks your friend Joe

I found this year's seed orders and the Hawaiian Sweet Hot was not on them. Seems like Peppermania may have sent it as a bonus though. I also looked at the seed swap records and two people sent them in. So the bottom line is that I'm not sure who's I sowed.
I will keep better germination records next year ...

Cut one open and ate it this morning. It was similar to an Aji Yellow in heat and flavor, and the thinness of the flesh, but less citrusy. I saved the seeds from it, and may grow it again, just not sure what to call it.

I finally harvested a few of the "real" Hawaiian Sweet Hots, so I thought I'd add a a comparison photo of the Hots with the NOTS.

HawaiianSweetHotsandNOTS9-1-12.jpg

Once I eat one of the Hawaiian Sweet Hots, I'll be able to compare heat levels. Still hoping someone has an idea what the NOT might be ...

Back