• If you can't find a "Hot" category that fits, post it here!

What is the fastest way to build heat tolerance?

Eh, I took baby steps and took my time getting used to the heat and I've went from thinking jalapenos were too hot to thinking fresh habs are mild and bhut jolokia powder is great for cooking.

I've seen a young guy eat a bhut jolokia without making much of a face and I've seen grown men flip out eating one. Your genetics willdetermine which you are. I'm not really sure what my genetics are but I eat fairly spicy food regularly without issue.

Actually funny enough the young guy that ate a bhut without making much of a face got blasted by the youtunbe community because chiliheads refuse to accept that some of us don't flip out when we eat superhots.
I think you're talking about snacksandsuch...

Oh yea, what do you know there he is. Yea, he's a good example of someone that is genetically predisposed to eat spicy food with no real issues, I think.

I'm in agreement with the genetics.
The OC spray so frequently used by police forces and military does not affect everyone the same. I may be on the weak end of the gene pool as no matter what habanaros are still hot. I can take the heat usually, but even eating it consistently they are still hot!
But the OC, I've seen the big tough guys take that to the face and wither and scream for hours, but other people take it and blink it off with out thinking much of it.

Find out your comfortable limits, and then make this decision: Am I still able to -taste- the pepper or just taste searing heat and the after effects? If you are not tasting the pepper, then your beyond your threshold in my opinion.

Also, in my personal experience it is so variable what you can handle. There are days I can pour spoonfuls of my hot sauce or a very hot sauce in to what I'm eating. Other days I can't seem to hack one from the same jar. The type of food you mix it in with makes a big difference. I seem to be a genetic oddity with hot peppers as much as everything else that I can put in my body. Starchy foods +hot peppers =agony for me. Peppers on about anything else tastes great!

Yea, I thin the rare times when people have side effects from eating too many hot peppers come when chileheads refure to accept their genetic limits and push it too far one too many times.

Eat hot Chilli's and lots of them and enjoy everyone you can no matter what the heat level and for the right reasons ... it should be taste first and then heat in my opinion. But luckily some of the tastiest peppers are also up there in the heat scale (ie yellow 7pot pod )

I will say this: You are not going to "prepare" yourself for the amount of heat a super brings. I had gotten quite comfy with Blairs Ultra, which comes in at 800K, but my first Ghost pepper still destroyed me. It is just a completely different experience.

I'm in agreement with the genetics.
The OC spray so frequently used by police forces and military does not affect everyone the same. I may be on the weak end of the gene pool as no matter what habanaros are still hot. I can take the heat usually, but even eating it consistently they are still hot!
But the OC, I've seen the big tough guys take that to the face and wither and scream for hours, but other people take it and blink it off with out thinking much of it.

Find out your comfortable limits, and then make this decision: Am I still able to -taste- the pepper or just taste searing heat and the after effects? If you are not tasting the pepper, then your beyond your threshold in my opinion.

Also, in my personal experience it is so variable what you can handle. There are days I can pour spoonfuls of my hot sauce or a very hot sauce in to what I'm eating. Other days I can't seem to hack one from the same jar. The type of food you mix it in with makes a big difference. I seem to be a genetic oddity with hot peppers as much as everything else that I can put in my body. Starchy foods +hot peppers =agony for me. Peppers on about anything else tastes great!
I think I have to disagree. I can TASTE habenero (disgusting in my opinion) and I was under the sink for about 10 mins. I know. Pathetic...

I think you can. i ate a hab sliver and hadmy mouth somewhat numb for therest of the day. now i eat habs raw like nothing.... gpnna move to bhuts soon....

I did it by eatting bigger pieces fora week no placenta and also putting powder i made (with seeds and placenta) on everything. then i ate the chili in two halves no seed reoval. next day i ate it whole and it was really bad. next day, a bit better. NEXT day, nothing

Yea, I've started putting bhut powder on everything and I have to say, its really not as hot as I was lead to believe.

I don't think there are varying degrees of genetic ability...

My cousin is that one guy in a crowd of a thousand that is immune to pepper spray. in his eye, mouth, whatever, it doesn't bother him. He's a cop. Has to be sprayed periodically.

My understanding of the process is that its like any thing else, over time, the nerves become less reactive to stimulus. Remove the stimulus for a time, and they begin to react again. SO if you want to be able to hang tough with the hottest peppers, get a supply of the hottest peppers, eat them, and continue to eat them frequently (daily maybe), and you'll be alright. No point in dragging out the conditioning process, its not like your tolerance is a muscle that can be over worked by running too far or something... Just hammer yourself with the hottest stuff you can find.

In short order it won't be that bad.

I grew up eating Jalapenos like candy. As an adult, I decided to eat habaneros. I bought some Hab based hot sauce and so forth... very quickly found my self not pushing my limit. After a trip to the UK, and to Peru where I ate a lot of hot stuff, I decided to grow some habs and other peppers to really stretch my limit. Bought a couple of plants from the big box, and started eating whole raw pods. The first time, I thought I'd die. the second time was bearable, in a week or two, habaneros are as spicy to me now as Jalapenos once were. Now I'm sucking down 7pots and so forth. If I had the 7pots to begin with, I'd have started there.

I don't know, if hot peppers didn't taste amazing to me I wouldn't eat them. I don't eat jalapenos because they taste horrid to me.
Interesting. One of my faves is a Jalapeno. Now the Tabasco is the nastiest piece of crap in my world.Utter garbage.
I actually bought 2 cases of Alfaro and 2 cases of Tapatio and gave them away at the "sodas" (hole in the wall restaurants) here.You won't find one with any"normal" Tabasco crap these days.
I need to get my hands on a few cases of Cholula.
I know. Off topic because I refer to sauces.

It is genetic though. Some people have super sensitive mouths in that they can taste the bitterness in broccoli, while others such as myself cannot taste the bitterness in broccoli. The same applies to hot pepper sensitivity, in a sense. There was a study done in around 2003 that made the claim that genetics is what determines capsaicin sensitivity. I can't link it as I am on my phone but a quick google search should bring it up. Now, I am no expert on genetics (I am in college to become an electrical engineer, not a geneticist) but I don't find it that far fetched to believe that since some people are more sensitive to things like the bitterness in broccoli others may be moore sensitive to the capsaicin on and in hot peppers.

Unfortunately these Ticos think Dijon is "pica". I have finally got them buying Alfaro and Tapatio but you'd think they were handling nitro or thermite when applying it to food. :rolleyes:
Got an Island(Grenada) chef buddy that lives here and we make up stuff to cross their eyes but still no hotter than yellows and what we call red diablos. Wild, teardrop, the size of a pencil eraser.

Back