• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

What is the most robust, vigorous and tall pepper ?

my scorpions in full sun get about 6 1/2 feet tall as do the Brain Strains

Thank you.

I read womewhere that Aji are big growers with very good roots that need space, but I don't find anymore this text... what do you think ? All Aji or just some varietes ?

I don't have any personal experience with them (yet, I have some seeds), but I think it would be some kind of rocoto. Supposedly they can get well over 10 feet tall and produce ridiculous amounts of fruit in climates where they're perennials.

My hot lemons are very tall plants, i had to move them from dwc to soil with support as they hit the 2 foot mark in a very short period of time and were falling over. i had to crop my overwintered plants to keep them at a manageable 10 inch height. i am sure if i had the right growing conditions they would easily hit 6 feet.

There's a certain "Thai Bird" type I grew to 7+ feet in 2009. I don't know the true name of it; the seed merchant I bought it from just called it "Thai Little Red Chilli," and anyway he no longer stocks it.

Last year some of my Tabasco plants reached 5+ feet.

As far as robustness and vigor of varieties, here in the extreme heat and humidity of the Louisiana summer, I have found the Tabasco and the Caribbean Red Habanero to be dang nearly bulletproof and crazy active producers.

Thank you for your help

So I will try grafting a variety of sweet bell pepper and a variety of hot pepper on :

tomato rootstock Groundforce F1
tomato rootstock Arnold F1
Aji Amarillo
Rocoto
7 Pod Brain Strain
7 Pod Morouga Blend
Solanum torvum
Solanum capsicoides
Solanum mauritianum
Solanum aculeatissimum

It seems there is a real interrest to graft sweet bell peppers on hot pepper rootstock :

"Sweet peppers can be difficult to grow because their root systems are not as strong as those of many other pepper varieties. They are susceptible to flooding and a wide range of plants diseases. One way to "toughen them up" is to graft the sweet pepper you want onto a stronger, more disease-resistant rootstock, like chili pepper rootstock, which is not as prone to root rot and disease. This is a procedure most gardeners can perform themselves."
( http://www.ehow.com/how_7627137_graft-peppers.html )

But there are less evidences of the benefits of grafting hot peppers on rootstocks. The main interrests : creating one plant producing 2-3 varieties of peppers.

Anyway, I'll try and keep you informed.

So, the next question is : which pepper varieties to choose for grafting experiments ?

Should be an average grower and an average producer, to see if rootstock makes a difference.

For the sweet bell pepper I'll choose Sweet Chocolate.

For the hot, what do you think about Bhut Jolokia ?

I had two aji limons last year - they grew 6+ feet tall, and gave me 324 pods. The previous year, they'd grown to about the same size but more along the lines of 80-100 pods each rather than 2010's 162 each.

Back