• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

What is this?

Not the pepper, but the strange "marbling" effect on it. I thought maybe something nibbled on it, but it's like it's under the surface somehow! Two peppers look like this. A sign of some sort of deficiency, or is it some kind of bug? I cut it open and while you can see the marbled area in the skin, it doesn't look like it goes all the way to the inside of the pepper. I've gotten perfectly good peppers off this plant and none looked like this before. There are still quite a few on there that look perfectly fine, too. What's going on here?

10626459_10202589669048339_237088116405885206_n.jpg

Is it okay to eat? It's in the dehydrator right now with a batch of dragon cayennes. Also, should I yank up the plant or hope that some of the other peppers turn out okay?

Dunno...
I thnk is Tomato spotted wilt virus. But not sure. As I said, wait a bit, maybe others knows better (I understand you have the peppers in dehydrator, but maybe leave them there, I think will be ok).

Google "stink bug damage on peppers" and see if the photos look like the damage/coloration on your pods. I know stink bugs can leave cloudy white spots/areas when feeding and they tend to ramp up around august. Not 100% sure that's what it is but worth checking out

Some of the stink bug pictures do look right (and there was a stink bug on one of the mottled peppers I picked last night!) - I bet that's my problem. 

Yup. +1 for stink bug damage (bastages!).

Back