• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

What kind of insect causes this?

On this plant lots of the leaves are getting dead or damaged spots on them. I noticed extremely small green crawling things on some of the leaves. I can't even get a picture of them they are that small. Tried searching around but couldn't find anything that looked similar. They are hard to see and look like specs of dust until they move

bk5yayn.jpg

Aphid-giving-birth.jpg

Did they look like that, by any chance?

I'm not sure what causes what's going on with your leaves, but what's pictured above is an aphid, which seemed to fit your description.

Spider mites are that small but they're usually yellowish white. At least the ones that I had are but there are different kinds of spider mites. Are you seeing any webs?

Something the size of a speck of dust sounds like a mite of some kind. Do you see very fine spider web-like filaments on some of the leaves? If so, it could be spider mites. If not, maybe broad mites.
     Try to get a better picture of the affected leaves. Each of these mites leaves telltale damage.

Edmick said:
Spider mites are that small but they're usually yellowish white. At least the ones that I had are but there are different kinds of spider mites. Are you seeing any webs?

no webs, ill try to find and take a pic but they are really small

uY9kGL0.jpg

3aDbxWt.jpg

EOnUgLi.jpg

I hope they are not aphids, I never seem them in person but from pics they don't look like aphids. seem much smaller. Ill try and find one and get agood pic
AndyW said:
Aphid-giving-birth.jpg

Did they look like that, by any chance?

I'm not sure what causes what's going on with your leaves, but what's pictured above is an aphid, which seemed to fit your description.

Either way they need to die. Most pesticides don't work on spider mites but neem oil helps keep them under control. It's very difficult (if not impossible) to totally kill spider mites so the best you can hope for is keeping their numbers in check. Go with neem oil or insecticidal soap. Put a piece of paper under the leaves and tap on the branch and look at them with a magnifying glass.

F57DkcS.jpg

I finally got a pic of them. Here are two, these are the adults I assume, their babys look the same but much smaller and green. I swear they hide from me whenever I try  to get a picture of them. The pic isn't that great but it's probably the best I can get with my camera and their size. That is also a baby leaf

Hybrid_Mode_01 said:
     Definitely not mites. Thrips, maybe? Can you get a focused pic?

I think you may be right . I looked up thrips and they look similar. Thanks, now I can figure out how to kill them off :hell: :hell: . Hopefully they aren't difficult to rid of

​Haha, that's definitely thrips you got there. They're almost cute if you watch them closely for a while until you remember that they're solely responsible for wreaking havoc or your plants! The larvae isn't cute at all however, so don't look to closely.

Welcome to the thrips club! We've dealt a lot with them before. Luckily, they're quite easily managed with insecticidal soap. You just have to spray really often for a while to suppress them. I did every third day for 2-3 weeks and then twice a week for like 2-3 weeks more, then once a week for a month and I was completely rid them. Remember to also let the leaves dry slowly from the soap solution so they get time to suffocate as they should. Humidity is your friend. Neem oil also scares them away, but I would soap them to death first and then neem 'em to make sure they do not try to re-infest.

You get really good at spotting them once you've tried eradicating them and that's the most important aspect. Many miss thrips until shit really hits the fan. Always look at the underside of suspect leaves.

Good luck!

SwedishGhost said:
​Haha, that's definitely thrips you got there. They're almost cute if you watch them closely for a while until you remember that they're solely responsible for wreaking havoc or your plants! The larvae isn't cute at all however, so don't look to closely.

Welcome to the thrips club! We've dealt a lot with them before. Luckily, they're quite easily managed with insecticidal soap. You just have to spray really often for a while to suppress them. I did every third day for 2-3 weeks and then twice a week for like 2-3 weeks more, then once a week for a month and I was completely rid them. Remember to also let the leaves dry slowly from the soap solution so they get time to suffocate as they should. Humidity is your friend. Neem oil also scares them away, but I would soap them to death first and then neem 'em to make sure they do not try to re-infest.

You get really good at spotting them once you've tried eradicating them and that's the most important aspect. Many miss thrips until shit really hits the fan. Always look at the underside of suspect leaves.

Good luck!

Thanks! I actually noticed a few of these things a while back, but thought nothing of them. Then I saw the leaf damage, and more and more of these things. I saw one of the peppers with like 20-30 of the babies on them. Pulled it off instantly. They are on all (3) of my plants now, mostly around the new growth. I had put sand on the top layer of my soil to deal with fungus gnats, and thought it would kill of the thrips or whatever other insect too, but I was wrong

cooked said:

Thanks! I actually noticed a few of these things a while back, but thought nothing of them. Then I saw the leaf damage, and more and more of these things. I saw one of the peppers with like 20-30 of the babies on them. Pulled it off instantly. They are on all (3) of my plants now, mostly around the new growth. I had put sand on the top layer of my soil to deal with fungus gnats, and thought it would kill of the thrips too, but I was wrong

​Yeah. They're weird little bastards. I mean they obviously like to feed on old leaves. I usually find the largest structural damage there (silvery/bronze scraping scares in huge irregular blobs on the underside of leaves). However, once you have an infestation they seem to target the new shoots like it's the most delicious buffet. So what ends up happening is that all new growth comes out all weird and damaged while the old leaves slowly succumbs, it can quickly spiral into a critical condition for your plant since it can't really save itself.

​As I said though, insecticidal soap is your best friend. Just use true soap and not dishwashing liquid or something else strongly detergent. Check my posting history on some information on this. E.g. here and the post I refer. 1 % is enough as long as you make sure to actually wet everything thoroughly and let them dry slowly, preferably somewhere where you have 90% humidity. High enough humidity and you could probably get away with 0.25 % if your water isn't that hard. But do at least 1 % since phytotoxicity should be practically non-existent as long as you use a long-chained pure-fatty-acid SOAP (I've even wet plants 2 cm out of the grounds with no problems). Don't take any chances.

If the leaves start drying before you've moved them, re-spray them. I can't emphasize the "let 'em dry slowly"-recommendation enough; Soap truly only kills via suffocation (hugely increased wetness of the water in combination with their passive breathing tubes) but thrips can survive "holding their breath" for a little while. Try to start the spray session of each plant by high pressure to wash them off as well and then turn to a fine mist to cover everything. Then you increase your chances of removing the largest amount of the reproductive population possible. Oh, this probable goes without saying but COVER EVERYTHING. On top, under leaves, inside flowers, between buds and stems, along the woody stem, lightly mist the top soil, wash off the pot, etc. Everything. Don't let them camp out and re-colonize the next day.

​No, sand won't do shit I'm afraid. Screw the fungus gnats. They seldom do any real damage (unless your soil is always soggy). Just water more appropriately and put up some yellow sticky paper to catch 'em. Thrips is a real threat on the other hand. Not immediately but if you neglect the plants they will become quite stunned, might get viruses and could even die. Focus on the thrips.

​But don't worry. You can get this under control. You just need to be hypervigilant and avoid pro-crastinating "spray days" for a while. May your thrips not rest in any peace whatsoever.

Equipment suggestion: I was talking about my cheap 20 buck hand held microscope from radio shack.  Someone told me there is now one with a USB attachment that lets you take pictures and send them to your PC.  Even the cheap radio shack microscope would save you hours of wondering.  I have diabetic eyes and would be lost without mine but some of these critters are so damn small even good eyes cant tell.

I would not recommend a cheap microscope camera. Everyone has a perfectly fine camera in their pockets nowadays: a cell phone. Get yourself a macro lens from Amazon or somewhere which clip on. They cost $10 and you can get >20x magnification with the ability to view and scrutinize your problem pixel for pixel, get your pictures online or post-process them any way you wish. Here's an example of edema photographed with such. And here's something (?) which does look like a scale insect. Just my phone, 10USD and a clip-on (this was what I got when I started for 9£ but please look around). The added benefit of being able to view and zoom afterwards does all the difference (e.g. compared to just a microscope) and you don't need yet another camera for cheap when you have one in your phone.

​Just my two cents.

A little tip on pictures with a phone: with my phone, I can get better quality by taking the pic further back and zooming in later vs taking it up close. Much better quality and focus that way for me.

Back