• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

soil What kind of soil ...

I would take a trip and check them out yourself before purchasing any if you can. Also are you planning on going organic or synthetic and is this for a bed or pots? Not sure I like the ones w/the Pine fines in it,looks like the "Council mix" if just for your garden!

I need to get a Ton min. (about 1 cubic meter) I was going to make up about 12 x 22 L pots, the rest can go on the garden bed?

Council mix looks good to me - said that it was good at draining ...

Thanks for the advice

M

There is a place in northern CA that has pea sized pine bark----do not remember their name. But I got a couple bags of their stuff last year and it was great---the best I found. I just mixed it with miracle grow and the plants loved it.

Edit--opps I just saw you are down under---oh well it is hard to find good medium anywhere.

Luck

Thanks for your comments - as an update, the new soil seems to be working out well.

In the end ordered 1 ton of 'Council mix' i.e.:

Council Mix
40% Loam
40% Washed River Sand
8% Cow Manure
12% Mushroom Compost

"Popular garden mix suitable for garden bed rejuvenation. Ideal for vegetable gardens pH 5.7-6.5"

To this I added some gypsum (about 15 kg), 'bull-dust' (about 25 L) and some 'chicken-dust' (about 15 L).

For example, I topped up my Scotch Bonnet with a 2 or 3 litres of new soil and it has exploded into life (could be a coincidence?)

This but it has been hunkered down for a long time (see photo below) and the flowers form with very little pollen and then fall off. Now the plant has nearly doubled in volume and the flowers seem to have more pollen.

1 ton of ‘Council mix’:
P1100391.jpg

Scot Bonnet before:

P1100321.jpg

Scot Bonnet 1 week later:
P1100484.jpg

Back