• If you can't find a "Hot" category that fits, post it here!

What on earth are you going to do with a chilli that hot?

Howdy Yall, I'm growing a few carolina reapers and have some ghosts that still haven't germinated, I'm pretty exited about them, can't wait to make fierce cheese stuffed poppers, candies and all.

Reading what you folk do with them is giving me some better answers from everyone who asks what I'm going to do with something this hot, the question always seems to throw me cause I'm into how awsome it is then get asked why... Esh!

The chille has reasons reason knows nothing of!

texas blues said:
Seems like a waste to make poppers with them.

After all, you're only going to be eating one.

lol TB!

95% of the supers I grew last year were dehydrated and then either ground for use in chili powder blends or rehydrated a couple at a time to add a nice high note to sauces when I make them.  I ate a couple of them fresh and didn't care for the punishment (or the next day's consequences either!).  Gave a couple to my jerk brother in law (can't make wings hot enough to satisfy me! kinda guy) and filmed the results but his wife deleted the vid from my phone before I could post.  Alas he doesn't want any more of my garden :)

I have a farmers market connection. This guy sells the peppers that are really ripe at a huge cut rate. I bought five pounds of fresnos for three bucks and three pounds of serranos for 99 cents. For most people they would need to eat them right away, but I put them right on the dehydrator and made awesome powder with them. As for the supers this is my first year and have yet to even hold a ripe pod. I think I'll freeze, dry, powder, and pickle.

Just my 2¢

For the Ghosts I grew a few years back and any upper tier Habs or other superhots, I take the fresh pod and slice off real thin pieces to go with whatever I am eating. Usually I only make it through about half a pod in any one meal. The rest of the pod I wrap up in plastic wrap and throw in the fridge until the next day. The pod wrapped up like that will last in the fridge for 4-5 days. I have a lot of friends and acquaintances that are big time hot pepper fanatics so I have never had trouble disposing of extra pods. I usually freeze a few ziplocs full to last me over the winter (hey, a frozen pepper is better than no pepper). This year I probably won't have any to spare but I want to get into drying and powdering some of my excess production in the future. 

Sometimes I grill a few whole pods. You can slice the grilled pods up and top a burger or a pizza, or chop it up fine and mix into the meat for a burger or a flaming hot meatloaf. Just about anything you can use a "regular" pepper for, you can use a superhot, just adjust quantity to your personal heat tolerance. 

I make fermented hot sauces and give most of it away as gifts as I in no way consume that much hot sauce.

I also make Emeril's essence and substitute cayenne with whatever chili powder I may have:
Ingredients
2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
2 tablespoons salt
2 tablespoons garlic powder
1 tablespoon black pepper
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1 tablespoon dried thyme

Read more at: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeril-lagasse/emerils-essence-creole-seasoning-recipe.html?oc=linkback

SavinaRed said:
no one makes any salsa with the fresh super-hots  ?
Yup.
Some are better for a fresca, some better for a sauce.

The supers have to be sliced very, very small and mixed in extremely well to be used in a fresca.
You don't want one bite to be face melting, and the next to be bland.

I hear yall, I don't realy know what I'm in for, I have a bottle of daves's ghost pepper sauce and love it but learned pretty fast not to have on an empty tummy! It's prob not as hot as a fresh chilli But you do give me good ideas, I'll be sure and make any slices really thin and start small :)
Have to say part of the fun I'm looking forward to is sharing, I work construction in south texas, the lone gringo on the job most days and mexicans seem to think we cant eat hot stuff... I grew up in africa eating portuguese and indian food :) cant wait hehe :))

One thing I found out the other day that realy makes my taste buds happy is making a powder and the putting it on my biltong,and then leaving it to dry,its realy good

SavinaRed said:
no one makes any salsa with the fresh super-hots  ?
Jonahs make awesome salsa, as do brainstrain yellows! Soooooo hot and fruity! Delicious! I usually use yellow tomatoes w/ yellow peppers though!
Jan said:
Howdy Yall, I'm growing a few carolina reapers and have some ghosts that still haven't germinated, I'm pretty exited about them, can't wait to make fierce cheese stuffed poppers, candies and all.
Reading what you folk do with them is giving me some better answers from everyone who asks what I'm going to do with something this hot, the question always seems to throw me cause I'm into how awsome it is then get asked why... Esh!
The chille has reasons reason knows nothing of!
excellently put sir! The heat of a reaper at its full potential 2m+ will basically melt your face off and send you home crying unless you've built up a hell of a tolerance,(and let's face it sometimes even then) ghosts are much more manageable but still very hot, powders and hot sauces or relishes, where you can slowly add more to the recipe to increase your tolerance is what I recommend for superhots newcomers, even for ppl who eat orange habs like candy, remember % wise the difference between an orange hab and a ghost pepper is the same as the difference between a Serrano and an orange hab, and reaper makes it more like the difference between a mild jalapeño and an orange hab, now this is all based on % 's the actual scoville difference is much much bigger!
wayright said:
Powders and sauces etc,,are the best way to use up your extra supers

but sliced thinly,,they are great fresh with a grilled steak!!

:cool:and of course they are delicious sliced fresh on steak, or burgers, or Philly cheese, or pureed in marinade or sauce for wings or ribs or _________(insert favorite grilled food here)! Peppers and grill or smoke or (grill and smoke) go together like beer and footbal, in other words not at all ;)
Kevin
Oops I put my reply inside his quote oh well its to big to edit!

Back