• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

What Spiders should I Watch Out For?

Hello good people!

So a week ago I would not have cared much for this topic. I've seen spiders climbing around my plants, many I've never seen before and thus entertaining me with their wild varieties of shapes and sizes. One of the unique ones I really liked seeing was a Green Lynx Spider.

But today I got a delivery of predatory mites in order to take care of a spider mite infestation on my chili plant leaves. So... how bad is it to have these numerous spiders around (the one I'm looking at now that has raised this concern is some type of crab spider) with my new predatory mites now feasting on these blasted spider mite pests? Are the spiders going to instead turn my expensive pest control method into a deluxe meal for them, or will they not care much for the little guys hiding on the undersides of leaves?

And I guess it's not so much a big deal now, considering the fact that the overwhelming percentage of spiders are carniverous, but are there any spiders that could potentially damage my plants?

Many thanks in advance for any insight!

i love the jumping spiders they seem to do the best job in the garden because they hunt all over and dont set up shop in one place for very long unless the hunting is good there

leave all spiders be and they generally will do the same for you, they will not damage your plant
it is true that all are poisonous but thats how they kill and digest there pray, they are very helpful around the garden as they kill many of the nasty bug that can cause havoc

so let them be and they will actually be your friend, i do

thanks your friend Joe

I usually have jumpers around but this year I have a otn of baby orb weavers in my backyard and one set up shot in my thai plant but I left it cuz i rather it defend the plant from the mites then send ti off elsewhere... Over the last year ive come to liek spiders.. NOt ON me.. but I appreciate them.. I actually have an orbweaver i caught in my room in a plastic tub box.. I had jumpers last year.. totally different. jumpers hunt these things make webs its cool to see..They ar elal so smart. Esp jumpers..

I can understand that. They have definetely helped take care of many other pests, though it doesn't seem they go for the accursed spider mites. But I'm concerned about them eating my predatory mites. Are they likely to?

most spiders dont hunt. if your predatory mite gets caught in a web then ya its a goner but not necessarily from the spider sipping on the guys. what is the predator you got?

most spiders dont hunt. if your predatory mite gets caught in a web then ya its a goner but not necessarily from the spider sipping on the guys. what is the predator you got?

The package of mites I got contained three predatory mites: Phytoseiulus persimilis, Neoseiulus californicus, and Mesoseiulus longipes.

"What Spiders should I Watch Out For?"

Ones that look like this.

spider-man_1117084i.jpg

I noticed a couple baby Orb Weavers between some tomato plants and a bunch of white flies stuck in the webs, we have some monster spiders down here.

Great thread OP!! I was thinking this same thing today looking @ my peppers. I have a few that I've been "shooing" if you will ;) Nice to see they aren't harmful. The only reason I was curious is because I have a nice set of lacewings that seem to be hanging around my cucumber plant. I thought "wow this is great!" seeing how lacewings can be a great beneficial bug for the garden. Looks like if the spider gets a few of them I won't worry now though. Thanks guys.

"What Spiders should I Watch Out For?"

Ones that look like this.

spider-man_1117084i.jpg

lmao I will watch out for this one. Killer boots man.

Back