• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

What superhot variety to choose

Hi all,

I want to grow one of the superhots, but I'm not sure which one to pick..
I will be planting the seeds in the beginning of january, and will keep it inside until the last frost has passed, to get as long a growing season as possible.
I will be growing the peppers in Holland, the growing season is pretty short, and the summers here are often pretty wet, Help me choose which one I should grow, I will be building a small roof over my plants so they don't get to wet..
Which of the following species should I choose for a good harvest and good heat to? 7 pot, Naga Morich, Bhut Jolokia, Bih Jolokia or Trinidad Scorpion??

Thanks for your advice!

As Omri says the Naga Morich is great or Dorset virtually identical in heat/Size etc,Then 7pot you will love the taste and heat,The scorpion some prefer it over the 7pot personality i think the 7pot wins on taste in that battle..But just a personal opinion :)

That depends on the space you have at your command. If there is space enough I would recommend to grow more than one of the superhots. It should be no problem to get the seeds.

Armadillo said:
That depends on the space you have at your command. If there is space enough I would recommend to grow more than one of the superhots. It should be no problem to get the seeds.
The space is not the problem, but covered space is..
This summer has been especially wet, and it's no fun eating jalapeno poppers when the jalapeno's taste like bell peppers. So I am planning to make a small roof over a part of my garden, so I don't have that much space..

Superted said:
The space is not the problem, but covered space is..
This summer has been especially wet, and it's no fun eating jalapeno poppers when the jalapeno's taste like bell peppers. So I am planning to make a small roof over a part of my garden, so I don't have that much space..

For how many plants will you have space? And what are your priorities besides the superhots?

Of all the superhots I grew this year, Bhuts had the most peppers and earlier than all others, too. I'd recommend them, our season is the same, because I'm in Germany. If you got space for more than one plant, I'd try some others anyway. Unless you have tried them all, you can't know which one you'd like best, so I'd recommend growing one or two of each and see what you like best.

For shortest time to maturity, I think Scorpion is the winner. 7 pod next and Nagas, Bhuts, and Bihs the longest. Maybe it's just my clinate?

Armadillo, if you would've made that statement two years ago, you would've been be-headed in the chile community. lol. Amaxzing how fast things spread around the world. Maybe even the rarest wild capsicums will be available to all of us someday. :) I'd give my left arm for some of them. KIDDING.

Chris

Armadillo said:

I agree with Iggy...grow them all...

cmpman1974 said:
Armadillo, if you would've made that statement two years ago, you would've been be-headed in the chile community. lol. Amaxzing how fast things spread around the world. Maybe even the rarest wild capsicums will be available to all of us someday. :) I'd give my left arm for some of them. KIDDING.

Chris

Yeah. I know I'm kinda privileged to start now with all the opportunities. Tell ya what: I enjoy it! :lol: Wouldn't be possible without the intertube and all the great people around the world.

My 7 pots produced first, then nagas, scorps took the longest by far.

My hot cherries from trinidad got about 3 pods out this year.....

So I am overwintering that to give it a head start next year.

If you start early (like NOW) you would be ok with any.

I agree, start 2-3 of each and plant the best ones. I would also add Fatalii to the list. It's not quite as hot, but is a big producer and has great flavor! Don't get me wrong it's still PLENTY hot!

Go ahead and throw in a Caribean Red in there too while you are at it. And tyeah, I would grow them all :). Variety is the "spice" of life! Get it? SPICE of life...yuk yuk yuk :lol:

Dunno if a chocolate habanero is considered a superhot, but I just ate a whole one and it made me throw up, and it was f'ing awesome. I'll let you know bout the 7 pots & scorpions later. But definitely grow these, they had a great flavor, and the fataliis too, fataliis are one of my favorites now.

My earliest maturing peppers were the Hot Paper Lanterns...not scorchingly hot by any means (usually two at a meal) but they were ripening mid-July and were so prolific that I could pick one or two every day through late September. And a really nice taste.

My slowest maturing were the Jalapenos!!! They sat there full sized and green from July right until I was dismantling the garden and then I let them ripen in a paper bag. My last year growing those! They're so easy to just go and buy anyway!

If I could only have only one superhot, though, I'd go with the 7 pot. Really a nice flavour and a quick wicked heat. I also have a short, cooler Summer here in Canada and the Seven Pot did fine. My only experience. Are you sure you can't squeeze in 4 plants? What a hard decision.

Txclosetgrower said:
Dunno if a chocolate habanero is considered a superhot, but I just ate a whole one and it made me throw up, and it was f'ing awesome. But definitely grow these, they had a great flavor.

;) If throwing up is the standard, just drink some sour milk and don't bother with the peppers! TCG - That was too funny!

Im growing several varieties - 7 pots and Dorset Nagas in a limited space and in the New Zealand summer - which has so far been a good pepper growing season (a bit windy today though).

Go for it - plant one of each and see what comes out the best.

Look up the threads on growing indoors - this would give you much more control over the moisture and lighting issues you may have in the Netherlands.

Thanks for the replies!

Thanks to TrinidadHottie I already have some superhot seeds.. some 7 pot and trinidad scorpion, which I am offcourse gonna sow.
But I was wondering what pepper seed to order, as I want to be sure some of my seeds germinate so I have some growing plants before the summer starts.
The seeds I already had on my shopping list:
Fatalii,
NuMex Big Jim,
Safi Scotch Bonnet,
Early Jalapeno,
Joe Parker,
Trinidad Perfume.
I couldn't choose between ordering Naga Morich or 7 pot, but as I already have a couple of 7 pod seeds I will probably be ordering the Naga Morich seeds.
Now I have one more question.. If there is one species I should (in you opinion) add to my ordering list, which would it be???

Back