• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

What the... EXPLOSIVE orange hab growth in mid-October?

So I've got an orange hab here with 50-60 new pods. All the pods in these pics got started after the main growth spurts of August/Sept were over (total of 105 pods pulled through 9/15). This plant apparently does not know the season is over. 150+ pods in a potted deck plant???!!!?? Man what a weird season this has been.

124-1.jpg

125-1.jpg

126-1.jpg

Mine have been about to do that since early october. They're still setting flowers and pods, and ripening them extra fast, while my C. Annum Ring of Fires gave up weeks ago.

That is some insane late season growth. We have been having temps in the 80's here after already having a light frost. Seeing those pics, I wish I would have covered my plants a couple nights instead of bringing them in a couple weeks ago.

I still have Caribbean Red Habs going nuts too. I wish they were in my garden which is covered now instead of in the yard where I have no way to cover them when frost comes. At least you can bring yours inside to finish ripening when the frost comes. Congrats on the bumper crop.

I have an orange hab here in CA that is just now strating to set pods and is loaded with flowers and sets more each day. Hopefully the weather here will continue to cooperate in central CA.

Nice! My Caribbean Reds are doing the same. I think it's because the temperatures finally dropped out of the 100s in late September...

I have a peach hab plant that is doing that as well .... producing TONS of new pods and ripening some of the others. Even this morning I noticed new pods forming ... the nights are dipping into the 40's too!??

Come to think of it ... even my bannana and bhut plants are doing the same thing ... not to the level of the habs though!

attachment1l.jpg

attachment2x.jpg

attachmentc.jpg

My cayenne and TAM are full of pods, also from a late spurt. The growth on the cayenne seems to have slowed or stopped, so they will likely end up shorter than the earlier pods (they're about 5" long, while the earlier ones were 8" - 10".) So now I'm mostly just waiting for the two of them to ripen. I've been bringing them in and out of the house each day - sunny days they go out, but night and cloudy days they stay inside. We've had frost now, so I'm trying to be careful.

The "regular" jalapeno, however, was a slow but consistent producer throughout the summer. It didn't have the wild blooming spurt the other two had, but it did put out a handful of blooms. They are just now starting to set pods, but I'm not sure if they'll stick. At this point, not really concerned. I'm happy if it just lives through the winter!

My plants outside are still setting pods here in Virginia. If they were out in the open I'm not sure if they'd survive. However, being on an enclosed balcony shields them. That, along with the apartment building vents and building heat it may be prolonging the season.

Pods are still setting, but I've noticed for them to turn completely ripe, it is taking much longer. I doubt the majority if not all will die off in the next few weeks.

Mega - that Orange Hab plant is insane! My Orange Habs are still making pods also, but nothing like that. You have a very happy, healthy plant - overwinter that bad boy!

ALL MY PEPPERS ARE STILL SETTING PODS
IT LOOKS LIKE IM GOING TO HAVE TO BUY THEM ALL WINTER CLOTHING SOON!! LOL

JOE

Wow Mega- Nice plant. What are you feeding it?

I feed all my plants the same thing - alternating between TomatoTone and Neptune's Fish/Seaweed, every three weeks (i.e. really only 4-5 fertilizing events the entire season). They grew so much differently and better this year than last, I'm just trying to figure out what I did differently or if the better results were just the randomness of nature. In the end, I think it was just a good season, with the right temperatures, mix of rain and shine, etc. It looked really bad in June with the heat wave, but then things really evened out here in Virginia and we've had months of ideal growing weather. I did cut back on the feedings from once a week in light quantity last year to once per three weeks in heavy quantity, and I think that helped. The other thing I did differently this year was, I mixed in a fairly large amount of TomatoTone into the ProMix BX prior to transplant, so maybe that got my deck plants off to a good start or something. I do think all the plants in my garden (peppers, tomatoes, pumpkins, cucumbers, and many types of leaf vegetables) really thrived on the Neptunes - they really perked up each time I used that stuff.

Thanx Mega, a new store opened here with a wide selection of organic ferts. If you're getting results like that, I will have to spend more time in there.

Could it be that you had a really hot season and now that the weather has cooled slightly the plant is really taking off? I know my plants didn't do that well this year because the temp is a LOT colder than last year with a lot more cloudy days this summer. The problem is i'm already in a pretty cool temp area a few miles from the water in OC. So as it is I don't get a lot of bright sun and this year it just wasn't enough sun for my plants. I did everything the same as last year, but my plants are still less than half the size of the ones last year.

Back