• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

What the Hell is a Trinidad Viper Super Hot Chile?

Well, here's the scoop from the owner of the company regarding the infamous 'Trinidad Viper' chile. :)

Colour Red, texture smooth, I am hoping that it will be a stable variety, I named it myself. It is a thick fleshed pod a little thinner than a Jalapeno. I had it heat tested last year at 1.2 million shu, that why I am getting excited about it.

I too hope it's stable!! lol. :) What amazes me is it could test @ 1.2 million SHU WITHOUT pebbled skin?? Seems impossible, but you never know.....`

Chris

cmpman1974 said:
Well, here's the scoop from the owner of the company regarding the infamous 'Trinidad Viper' chile. :)

Colour Red, texture smooth, I am hoping that it will be a stable variety, I named it myself. It is a thick fleshed pod a little thinner than a Jalapeno. I had it heat tested last year at 1.2 million shu, that why I am getting excited about it.

I too hope it's stable!! lol. :) What amazes me is it could test @ 1.2 million SHU WITHOUT pebbled skin?? Seems impossible, but you never know.....`

Chris
Where does one have peppers tested for shu?

I believe Talas said in the EU a more efficient, much cheaper method was discovered and being used recently. He can elaborate more I'm sure. :)

Chris

Yes there a cambridge company producing the device and said it will be released this year,i believe there trialing it out already with a few company's..

Trinidad viper..From the u.k not produced in Trinidad and its a Red Savina/T.Scorpion Cross 1.2 million shu mmm even if it kept its parents genetics (Scorpion) which IS 1.2 million shu highly unlikely to be that hot..If he had marketed as A RED SAVINA/t.SCORPION CROSS people would STILL be interested in taste but to market it as a new Trinidad variety is snake oil selling :violin: Playing the Fiddle with peoples money is not wise..

talas said:
but to market it as a new Trinidad variety is snake oil selling :violin: Playing the Fiddle with peoples money is not wise..

Why not? That's the American capitalist way. Buyer beware or don't buy.
I personally don't try to rip people off, but other people have done it to me. But then again I am poor. hmm...
Maybe I should start selling snake oil. Or sell seeds that are clearly marked as "Unstable cross; results may vary." when it is really just a regular super hot variety.
Jus kidding. :cool:

I'll bet money there's already several members here trying to purchase the "snake-oil pepper" so I'd say capitalism does work:( but personally I'll never buy from chilliseeds again

The key to not being fooled(or at least not too much) by any type of 'hype' marketing is education. Do the research and educate yourself as much as possible to reduce as much as possible any chances of having the 'wool pulled over your eyes'.

ABurningMouth said:
Why not? That's the American capitalist way. Buyer beware or don't buy.
I personally don't try to rip people off, but other people have done it to me. But then again I am poor. hmm...
Maybe I should start selling snake oil. Or sell seeds that are clearly marked as "Unstable cross; results may vary." when it is really just a regular super hot variety.
Jus kidding. :cool:
No where your coming from..

POTAWIE said:
I'll bet money there's already several members here trying to purchase the "snake-oil pepper" so I'd say capitalism does work:( but personally I'll never buy from chilliseeds again
Agree and yes some people will buy..Not me

Sickmont said:
The key to not being fooled(or at least not too much) by any type of 'hype' marketing is education. Do the research and educate yourself as much as possible to reduce as much as possible any chances of having the 'wool pulled over your eyes'.

All wise words buddy indeed..

Okay if this is a true 3 way cross it would take 6 yrs or longer to create. Gerald has not even had seeds for Scorpions that far back. Now heat and dryness affect increase in pungency. This is what Bosland found out. Not saying Paul deliberately stressed plants. He did not have to. Growing in the Southwest will do it naturally. Take any pepper from the wet, humid rainy Caribbean and grow it in New Mexico and it will go up in heat. My friend Marlin just had a field of Chocolate habs (over 8,000 lbs) harvested and they average over 500,000 scovies. Wet and well fertilized peppers are happy peppers. And happy peppers have less pungency. So now we have Gerald who lives in cold and wet Cumbria, UK with a non-climate controlled greenhouse. And you really believe his peppers got this hot. The ethical chilli people in the UK suspect oleoresin extract. And also say its just another Scorpion. I agree a lot of my Scorpion pods look just like it. Now heres something for all of you to chew on. I am working with Dave De Witt in testing all superhots and just for giggles other hots like Devil's Tongue and Red Fatalli. So who's doing the testing. Lets just say someone in the field of Capsaicin research that has more experience than Bosland. We are not playing around here. We want to know what is the hottest? is it Sr Strain? Douglah, Scorpion,Naga or Chocolate Bhut? Of maybe Jonah?? You will all see soon. By the way we will have a Third party verify our findings and this Third party will be another Institution that specializes in Capsaicin extraction and testing. Sorry but America has the best facilities and experience to do this research.

I have sold him some seeds and a few yrs ago bought some seeds at retail. He has been a pain in the ass to deal with so I told him if he ever wanted seeds I would take check or wire transfer. No more Paypal. I could say much more about him and his business but will stick to the topic. Now a question for you. Wasn't it last year that Gerald came on these forums saying the Viper was a Red savina/Scorpion mix? Could you help me find that? Dave De Witt would love a link to that.

Back