• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

What to do about these *BLASTED* spider mites!?!

Thanks for all the recommendations. However, despite all the varying advice, it doesn't look like there has been any sort of consensus reached. …

Regardless of consensus reached, a few months back I beat both spider & broad mites with what I recommend in Post #3 (click here) and one bottle cost me $6.00 at home depot. The best $6.00 I’ve ever spent, you can spray today and eat pods tomorrow as it’s predominately mineral oil. First week I sprayed every other day till bugs all gone. Now I spray twice a month to keep stuff off and I don’t see any bugs, plants & pods look great. I’d give it a try, nothing to loose but 6 bucks, lols.

That's very good advice, but the problem I am facing right now is that I am a very modest farmer with limited resources. I don't have hundreds of dollars to spend on predatory insects.

I kind of feel at this point that I can not stop this infestation, I can only hope to contain it.

I wish there were a $7 bottle of spray I could use to eliminate them (as I have done in the past with aphids), but these critters seem to be much more tenacious and persistent than the pests I have dealt with in the past.

For the overwintered plants, I'm just going to cut them way back and hope they recover. As far as the little guys go, it's just going to be spray and pray baby... spray and pray

Okay so if you don't have money here are some cheap solutions :

#1 - Put tobacco into water for 24h. Filter and add vinegar & soap. Vaporize.

#2 - Plant matches with sulphur in the soil

#3 - Water with olive oil. Spray

#4 - "Dark Soap" into water. Spray

But phytoseiulus persimilis is I think by far the best solution.

Back